When I got my Nutrimill in the mail, I was absolutely shocked at how LARGE it was. Between that and the Excalibur dehydrator arriving around the same time, my husband very seriously mandated that I get product dimensions before allowing any more boxes to come to our door.
Where to Grind?
I quickly decided the entire Nutrimill grain mill was too heavy and obnoxious to carry it up and down the stairs when I needed it, which is what I do with my food processor. Instead, I started by milling grain in my downstairs bathroom, which made for a pretty funny introductory blog post.
It didn’t take long to move to the laundry room, where I conveniently already had a random table. It’s now full of my dehydrator, grain mill, some jars of dehydrated tomatoes and extra wheat berries. It’s easy to carry the flour container upstairs after milling, and I get to fold laundry or load the machine in the few minutes it takes to grind the wheat.
Does it Make a Mess?
I’ve figured out how to stop 99% of the flour from poofing out the sides, and I just ignore the other 1%. It’s the basement, after all. The trick? Push the bowl in all the way, give it another nudge after turning the machine on, and if you really want zero dusting, cover the opening on the left side with a towel. Just don’t grab a dirty sock from the laundry pile.
I was a little worried at first that this huge bowl and complicated looking lid would be “just one more thing” to wash. I hate dishes. Plus, I knew it would need to be absolutely and totally dry before storing and using again.
My solution? Just don’t wash it. My philosophy is that it’s just dry flour, and the next thing that it will touch will be more dry flour. I can’t stress out about an 1/8 teaspoon of flour going rancid and touching the rest of my flour. Besides that, the inside of the mill, where you can’t clean no matter what, is going to have some flour residue on it anyway.
Grain Mill or Jet Engine?
And the noise? It makes for some funny conversation. Observe:
I was talking on the phone with my mom one evening and did everything I could do before soaking a recipe for the next day. I had to grind the grain. It couldn’t wait any longer. When I turned on the Nutrimill, my mom yelled, “What happened!” She thought I’d hopped on a jet plane or something.
My brother was visiting and was upstairs when I milled some grains with the door closed in the basement, and he was smirking when I returned. “Um, what the heck were you doing down there?” He guffawed and nearly fell off the couch when I said I was just grinding some grain.
It’s something to say when you want people to think you’re practically off the grid: “I grind my own grain, you know.” Ha!
My Final Thoughts on the Nutrimill
- I can’t tell you it won’t take you any more time.
- I can’t tell you it’s not loud!
- I can’t tell you it takes up very little space.
- I can’t say it’s mess free, but flour is messy business, no matter how you shake it. Don’t shake your flour, folks. Also, don’t get a grain mill of any kind if you can’t handle some flour dust.
- I won’t say that I can tell the bread and grain products I make are fresher, better-tasting, or the best stuff I’ve ever eaten, but many other people do. I’m just not that observant, honestly.
- I will say the cornbread I made with freshly ground popcorn was the most amazing I’ve ever had.
- I will say I’m so pleased that I’m using the whole grain, as fresh as possible. I am convinced there are health benefits to freshly ground grain. Then again, that opens another new can of worms.
- I’m pretty happy that I can’t break the Nutrimill by turning it on or off at the wrong time like the Wondermill and Whispermill, from what I understand. (Check out the comparison of the Nutrimill grain mill with a Wondermill I vlogged last week!)
- The flour grinds as quickly and finely as I could expect.
UPDATE 2012: I had a bit more to say about the Nutrimill; see HERE.
Anything else you want to know about life with a Nutrimill grain mill? Ask away! Want to get your own? Enter here!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Disclosure: Pleasant Hill Grain provided a Nutrimill Grain Grinder at reduced cost for my review and is providing the giveaway product free of charge. This relationship clearly in no way affects my opinion! See my full disclosure statement here.
Join our Facebook community so you never miss an update!