In a world where the medical community doesn’t seem to believe that food can have any impact on one’s health, I choose to be a countercultural rebel.
I believe food is medicine.
I believe you can choose to pay for nutrient-dense, well-raised food now or pay your doctor later.
I believe that everything you put on your skin or in your mouth has an impact on your health and well-being in some way.
That’s why even at a kitchen blog, it’s not all recipes and tips about how to plan a better Christmas party.
From the beginning, there’s been a natural health component, because taking care of our bodies when we’re sick is a natural extension of our good stewardship – I do think we are called to make choices that won’t harm us further and will have a positive (or neutral) impact on the environment and people around us. (top photo source)
I’ve been wanting to provide a roundup of all the natural health and home remedies resources here at Kitchen Stewardship. Ironically, this post fell on the day after my husband, after exhausting every natural option I could throw at him, had to succumb to antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection (so bad we were certain he had the real flu).
We’ll take them responsibly, finishing the entire prescription, and then hit hard with heavy probiotics and immune boosting herbs.
In complaining to my friend Donielle about how I was disappointed (to put it mildly) that the natural stuff hadn’t done anything at all, she reminded me that people really used to die from infections, and antibiotics have their place. The natural options for immune system support, like raw garlic, apple cider vinegar water, elderberry syrup and certain herbal tinctures, are most effective as a preventive measure and when the first signs of an illness begin to show.
That ominous scratchy throat or little bit of runny nose is the sign to hit hard, not when you’ve already been knocked on you bum by a virus and feel terrible.
Keep that in mind and grab some apple cider vinegar water – even if you don’t feel sick – while you peruse the natural health resources here at KS:
- How to Stock Your Natural Remedies Medicine Cabinet: Foods to eat and natural health options to boost your immunities and more.
- A Preparedness Primer for Natural Remedies: What to have on hand as part of your preparedness preparation.
- Build your Apothecary: Buying a few simple items can make your home a natural pharmacy, in a way. (guest post)
- Natural Remedies for Ear Infections: My story of avoiding antibiotics for my children, multiple times. Great list of resources at the end of the post.
- Sometimes we Fail: The story of how we ended up using antibiotics, and how I might have regretted that.
- Natural Solutions for Outdoor Issues: Scrapes and bug bites meet their match.
- Natural Insect Repellent Review and Homemade Natural Insect Repellent to help you avoid needing the ones above!
- Natural Home Remedy to Get Rid of Warts
- The Real Food BRATY Diet: For when illness strikes and you don’t want to eat white bread.
- How to Find a Naturally Minded Doctor
- Are Your Probiotics Helping or Hurting? An exploration of soil-based probiotics and what kind you should probably be taking instead.
- Reader Reviews: doTERRA Essential Oils: Including ones for stuffy noses, weight loss, headaches, and more.
- Oil Pulling for sensitive teeth and more
- Natural Remedies for Postpartum Pain
- Naturokit: a homeopathic first aid kit you can buy
- An Interview with a Naturopathic Doctor
- Garlic to Make the Sick Bugs go Away
- What’s Really in Children’s Medications? A wonderful guest post that will remind you why we bother with the natural options.
- Are Hand Sanitizers Safe or Superbug Creators?
The Blendtec Winner
Over 700 people were singing, “All I want for Christmas is to win this Blendtec!” but only one lucky winner is going to get one zooming to her door:
Congrats to Rachel (scgirls4life@…)
Please email me your contact info after you’re finished doing the happy dance.
Did you see my Blendtec review? It’s not that I am not enjoying the machine, but I definitely question if it’s worth as much as a stove or a big screen TV. (I’ll be posting the videos tomorrow if all goes as planned, for those of you who have been curious!)
TriLight Health $75 Gift Card Giveaway
TriLight Health has partnered with me to help you stock your natural health cabinet with a $75 gift certificate for one lucky winner this week. I’ve worked with Trilight many times before; here are some highlights as you explore the company:
- Reader reviews of TLH products, including ones for joint pain, bedwetting, energy, canker sores, and immunity boosters.
- Top 5 Herbs for cold & flu season
- More Reader reviews of TLH products, including thoughts on coughing and more.
This giveaway is being run via a Google form (we’re testing something new! Let me know if it runs smoothly by leaving a comment here on the post), which means comments on this post do not count (and will be deleted). In the long run, this is quicker for you if you go for extra entries.
There are 7 possible additional entries! Here’s what you can do to win in the form below:
- *Mandatory entry: What’s your favorite product from Trilight Health?
- Subscribe in a reader or via email to Kitchen Stewardship (or tell me if you already do).
- Subscribe to the Trilight Health Newsletter (or tell me if you already do). Get a free bottle of Lympha Rub, my ultimate favorite product there, just for signing up!
- Tell me if you “Like” Kitchen Stewardship on Facebook.
- Tell me if you “Like” Trilight Health on Facebook.
- Email 5 friends about this giveaway along with the link to it. (Email subscribers can forward their message.)
- Follow @kitchenstew on Twitter and tweet this:
I’m hoping to stock my natural health medicine cabinet with $75 from Trilight Health via @kitchenstew. http://bit.ly/12lnUWY
Remember, comments below in the comments section of the post DO NOT COUNT. You must use the survey form.
I will use random.org to choose the winner, who will be announced on the blog and will receive an email. The giveaway is open to continental U.S. residents only. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, December 17th and I’ll post the winners the following week.
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Disclosure: Giveaways are paid advertising and a great thing for my readers, so I’m happy to include it separately from any reviews. See my full advertising disclosure here.
Official rules and small print stuff: 1) No purchase necessary to win 2) must be 13 or older to enter and have a mailing address within the sponsor’s boundaries (see above) 3) only one survey entry per person 4) odds of winning depend on number of entries 5) employees of Kitchen Stewardship, LLC or sponsoring company not eligible for participation 6) contest sponsored by Trilight Health in FL 7) prizes must be accepted as is and are not redeemable for cash 8 ) Kitchen Stewardship, LLC and sponsoring company are not liable for any injury or damage to persons and/or things as a result of the acceptance of the prize offered. 9) This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
Powered by Sidelines