Let me tell you a little bit about behind-the-scenes at Kitchen Stewardship, just for fun today.
You may have wondered how I end up working with certain brands or small businesses, or how I determine what products are a good fit for the discerning KS audience.
One way brands come my way is through incessant “PR” emails in my inbox. Ironically, most of them are usually personal finance, adult beverage recipes, and a handful of food products. I do a lot of deleting before opening!
Every so often, maybe 1 in 100 or 200, something comes across my desk that is a genuine good fit, like last week’s giveaway for Health Warrior chia bars – and here are the lucky winners of that one:
- Trina – sourty…
- Maren – marenir_
- Marie – marie.hope.mar…
Please email katy at kitchenstewardship.com with your mailing address and enjoy the goodies! For everyone else, feel free to use the code KS15 for 15% off purchases at the Health Warrior site (through 8/31).
The other most common way I connect with brands is by seeking them out myself with a “cold call” email telling them I think their product sounds excellent in the real food or natural living field and asking if they’d like to send a sample and work with Kitchen Stewardship.
I’m sure those businesses treat my emails a lot like I treat the ones in my inbox!
Today’s product is a rare endeavor. The third and very rare way we connect is when I approach a brand I already use and love.
I’m thrilled to introduce you to Itzy Ritzy, makers of our family’s favorite reusable snack and sandwich bags.
Why We Love Itzy Ritzy Reusable Bags
When my new ad manager and I realized that we both used Itzy Ritzy bags, we had to try to make something work with them. I’ll be updating the big reusable sandwich bag review in September and adding Itzy Ritzy as one of our most-used for a couple reasons:
- Zippers instead of Velcro. Especially for quiet places like church, no parent wants to figure out how to get past the rrrrrrrrrrip! of Velcro just to get to the snacks for a toddler. Zippers are quiet. They’re also really simple for kids to mange, both opening and closing.
- Waterproof for wet things. When I’m packing grapes, carrot and cucumbers, strawberries, or a whole host of other moist fruits and veggies, I always reach for our Itzy Ritzy. The inside is made like a wet bag for cloth diapers (they sell those too), and it keeps the moisture in like no other bag we’ve tried. The bag’s open-from-the-top design is also better at containing crumbs than some of those that fold all the way open. Note: as the bags have aged, they become not completely waterproof, so I wouldn’t want to put anything that is actually liquid in them. They do get wet on the outside sometimes if the contents are particularly wet, but it’s still so much better than any other brand we have.
- Super easy to clean. Most of my bags are, but a lot do open up all the way to get crumbs out of the corners. With Itzy Ritzy, I just turn them 100% inside out, rinse and/or wipe the inside, which is white but almost never stains (some of my others do quite easily), and hang them on our utensil jar to dry. Every last crumb and speck of food residue is always gone, and I feel confident that they are clean. On the rare occasions when someone leaves something in there for too long (not naming names here), I can put the whole bag through the laundry for a super duper clean.
A Note on Plastic
I know, in an ideal world, everyone would avoid all plastic, even BPA-free plastic, just in case. But in that world, I’d have leaky strawberries and baby carrots making messes in my cloth lunch bags that I don’t have time to clean up in the real world, so I’m going to embrace the next best thing – BPA-free materials that I don’t have to throw away and that are easy to care for.
Did I mention they’re also really cute?
We have a princess print for our girl, a black and white one for our little guy and that gray print with animals for our big guy. We really do use them all the time, and although I take photos of everything we eat, I was shocked to find that I don’t have any personal pictures of our Itzy Ritzy bags.
I would snap a few today, but we’re away from home, and although I do have one or two of the bags with me…I don’t have the card reader for my camera. Typical.
The fact that I’ve never slowed down to take a picture of our bags in use really is a testament to the fact that they’re workhorses – real products that we really use all the time, mostly when I’m rushing around like a crazy woman trying to get a meal or snack to go packed for the whole family and haven’t a moment to take a picture!
Time to Share – The Prize
I’ll be jealous of whoever wins the prize package from Itzy Ritzy. They’re getting a $50 value:
- One Wet Bag (for swimsuits, cloth diapers, or messy stuff)
- 2 Snack Bags (this is the size we have)
- One Mini Snack Bag Set (these are too cute! I want one…)
You can read more about how the company started small (and is getting bigger) here.
Giveaways at Kitchen Stewardship are run via a survey, which means comments on this post do not count (and will be deleted). In the long run, this is quicker for you if you go for extra entries.
There are 11 possible entries! Here’s what you can do to win:
- *Mandatory entry: Visit ItzyRitzy’s store and tell us your favorite snack bag pattern.
- Subscribe in a reader or via email to Kitchen Stewardship (or tell me if you already do).
- Tell me if you “Like” Kitchen Stewardship on Facebook.
- Tell me if you “Like” Itzy Ritzy on Facebook
- Subscribe to the Itzy Ritzy Blog
- Sign up for the Itzy Ritzy Newsletter
- Follow ItzyRitzy and KitchenStewardship on Pinterest
- Follow @Itzyritzy on Twitter
- Follow @kitchenstew on Twitter
- Tweet this: “I can’t wait to snack in style with @ItzyRitzy and @Kitchenstew if I win this #giveaway!”
- Subscribe to the KS Monthly Newsletter (or tell me if you already do) – this is totally different from the RSS feed for daily posts – new content, once a month, and some summer menu plans for free when you sign up.
Remember, comments here DO NOT COUNT. You must use the survey form.
I will use random.org’s integer generator to choose the winner, who will be announced on the blog and will receive an email. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. EST on August 15th and I’ll post the winners the following week.
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Disclosure:I did not receive products for my review but purchased them myself a few years ago. Giveaways are paid advertising. See my full advertising disclosure here.
Official rules and small print stuff: 1) No purchase necessary to win 2) must be 13 or older to enter and have a mailing address within the sponsor’s boundaries (see above) 3) only one survey entry per person 4) odds of winning depend on number of entries 5) employees of Kitchen Stewardship, LLC or sponsoring company not eligible for participation 6) contest sponsored by Itzy Ritzy 7) prizes must be accepted as is and are not redeemable for cash 8 ) Kitchen Stewardship, LLC and sponsoring company are not liable for any injury or damage to persons and/or things as a result of the acceptance of the prize offered. 9) This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
Join our Facebook community so you never miss an update!