There are two ways to make potato pancakes — you can use leftover mashed potatoes or raw, shredded potatoes.
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbs. Flour
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- butter and/or olive oil
- Wash, peel and grate the raw potatoes.
- Grate or finely chop onion and add to potatoes.
- Beat eggs well and add to the bowl.
- Add salt and flour.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Fry plops of batter in hot oil.
- Flip when underside is golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel when cooked.
- Serve with sour cream or applesauce.
- (Makes about 18 pancakes)
Cost: less than 50 cents
Super foods: 2, plus one honorable mention
Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes
I can’t give you exact amounts here — it depends on the quantity of your leftovers that you want to use up.
Basically, stir some chopped onion, salt, parsley and flour into the potatoes. Add an egg or two until it looks like potato patties will stay together. Fry in butter or oil until golden on one side, then flip to the other. Delicious as breakfast for dinner with eggs or as a side to a meat dish.
Here’s what my last batch looked like: