- ~1 lb can salmon (make sure it’s wild Alaskan salmon)
- 1 Tbs. chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp salt (adjust as needed)
- 1 well-beaten egg
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. chopped parsley (dried is fine)
- 1/4 cup crushed crackers or bread crumbs (oatmeal works too)
- Remove skin & backbones (optional) of salmon.
- Flake fish.
- Add seasonings, crushed crackers or bread crumbs, onion, egg & parsley.
- Mix well. Shape into 3″ patties.
- Dip lightly into dry bread crumbs (optional) and saute in hot butter or (not-so-hot) olive oil in skillet till golden brown.
Added Bonus: Leaving some bones in adds calcium and minerals! Gross, but healthy… (My Mom says that when she was a child, finding a circle of the backbone was like finding treasure and just part of the patty. So why did she remove all of them when I was a kid?)
Time Saver: It’s easy to get a small amount of onions if you already have them in the freezer.
Cost: $3.00 or less (using Meijer brand pink Alaskan salmon 14.5 oz, reg price)
Super Foods: 2 (3 if you use olive oil) and 1 honorable mention (2 with whole grain bread crumbs)