|Three Bean Soup||
- 1 Tbs Veg oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 15-oz cans cannellini (white) beans, drained and rinsed
- (I use great northern beans – cheaper!)
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ c. grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ c. finely chopped scallions, optional
- hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and thyme; cook 1 minute.
- Add beans, stir well, and cook 1 minute.
- Raise heat to high; add the broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let cook 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth and thick.
- Simmer over low heat.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with grated cheese, scallions, and hot pepper sauce if desired.
See post for more.