If you’ve been reading blogs for awhile, you’ll occasionally see “Adrenal Fatigue” pop up as a hot topic. Which begs the question… what’s up with Adrenal Fatigue? Is there substance behind the fad? (And the real question you want to ask – is adrenal fatigue just an excuse for super tired or lazy people?)
The Kitchen Stewardship Team dishes out on what your adrenals are, the truth behind the fad status of adrenal fatigue, and ways to support your adrenal health. Catch it all on the video below!
And yes. I know it’s a video … which may leave you tempted to skip watching. Before you blow by, consider clicking on the video and multitasking on some chores (folding laundry, anyone?).
If you’re super pressed for time, check out the detailed listening guide below. But I guarantee you’ll learn something from this video chat between KS founder and editor Katie Kimball, contributing writer Bethany Wright and nutritional therapist Lydia Joy.
(By the way – feel free to click on the links below as you are watching the video. They should all open in a new window.)
0:50 – Introduction to Lydia Joy.
- Lydia Joy is a nutritional therapist from Divine Health From the Inside Out Health. Curious to learn more? See below for a welcome gift from Lydia.
3:51 – Bethany’s Personal Experience with Poor Adrenal Health
- Get the list Bethany refers to on Adrenal Fatigue symptoms.
5:45 – Adrenals 101
- What are adrenals? Where are they in the body? What purpose do they serve?
8:33 – Discussing the Current State of Affairs of Children and Adrenal Health
- Watch for a guest post Wednesday from Lydia – I (Katie) asked her to tell us more about this disturbing trend…
9:07 – What Are Typical (And Less Obvious) Stressors To Adrenal Health?
11:10 – Fatigue vs. Exhaustion
- Is there a difference between plain fatigue and adrenal exhaustion?
12:03 – The Three Stages of Stress
If you only have time to watch three minutes of the video, this is it.
- Lydia describes the three stages of stress (alertness, resistance, and exhaustion) and how each stage wears on the body differently.
15:05 – Creating A Good Guy/Bad Guy List When It Comes to Caring for Adrenals
- why staying up late is harmful
- why healthy salt is necessary (more KS articles: 1, 2, 3)
- why gentle exercise is important
- why you should never skip breakfast (Need help planning breakfast? Here’s a Monday Mission to get you going.)
19:01 – The Role Food Can Play With Your Adrenals
21:36 – The Role Reverse Osmosis Water Can Play With Your Adrenals
- Want to know even more? Check here and scroll down to the middle of the article.
22:53 – The Role of Mental Health and Adrenals
- Stay tuned later this month for a post talking about the connection between our mental selves and our physical bodies!
35:22 – A Word Of Encouragement About Adrenal Health and Perfection
“Don’t feel that adrenal health is a perfection that you must hit. Life is a journey. Stress happens. And it’s our stressful times that write beautiful stories.”
- By all means, take measures to support your adrenals. But remember that the body was designed to handle stressful situations. Yes, the tank can run dry. But that’s why we’re learning ways to support our adrenals better. The goal isn’t to have a stress-free life, but to learn how to support ourselves well while journeying through the stress.
38:10 – Is Adrenal Fatigue Simply A Fad?
- Learn some interesting biological information, including the relationship between electrolyte minerals and adrenals. Don’t forget KS’s recipe to make your own electrolyte drink that will help boost your (healthy) sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium – and it’s also great for rehydrating when you’re sick!
46:18 – How Adrenals Can Be A “Canary In The Coal Mine”
47:16 – Three Tangible Ways To Love Your Adrenals
This is probably the second most important segment to watch if you are tight on time.
Why Sleep Matters.
Check out the Kitchen Stewardship Healthy Sleep Series.
Why WHEN you eat breakfast matters.
How what you eat and when you eat it can impact your blood sugar, your adrenals, and your physical well being. Need help getting breakfast on the table? Check out Kitchen Stewardship’s The Healthy Breakfast Book.
Why a particular resting position can help you decompress and recharge.
Announcing a Kitchen Stewardship Sleeping Challenge
So hopefully you’ve had a chance to watch the video and learn why sleep is so important to our adrenal health. But can I have a moment of transparency? Since filming this video, I fell off the “get sleep early” bandwagon. And believe me – I can feel it.
Because I never want to be one to call the kettle black (did you read my post about my struggle to exercise? HA!), I’m hereby initiating a one-week challenge.
For the next 7 days, I’m committing to turning out the bedroom lights by 10:07pm.
(Yes, that’s an odd time. I did that on purpose.)
So the question remains: You up for the challenge?
Lydia blogs at Lyida Joy, empowering women to be their best selves. She focuses on traditional, real foods and incorporating the most natural, organic, nature intended foods possible. Thus ultimately leading to a more nourishing way of life!