Quick! It’s 8:00…do you know where your herbs are?
In a disaster or even just during a weird, cutting off supplies sort of emergency, it’s highly likely that someone in your neighborhood or community will need a little medicinal TLC. If the drugstores aren’t stocked and your medicines in your 72-hour survival kit have expired, you’re going to need some other options.
As a natural living sort of person, I’d prefer to default to natural remedies anyway, but I have to admit, my knowledge about herbs and essential oils is pretty limited. Learning more should probably be my next New Year’s resolution…
I have some on hand and know how to treat a cough, and we’ve dabbled tentatively with the whole natural antibiotics deal, and I’m steadily building up my home remedies for infection, but I’m still very much a rookie.
It may be difficult to find healthy emergency food storage plans but I’m thankful that most preparedness gurus default to the natural stuff when it comes to treating illness or disease. I’ll defer to the experts with these great resources for you:
- Amy’s awesome tutorial on growing your own herbs and how to use them
- Build your natural medicine cabinet (another perspective)
Be Prepared for a Disaster With a Natural Medicine Cabinet
- MadeOn’s lotion
- Here’s how to make your own herbal salve (with instructions for making in an Instant Pot!)
- Here is how I stock my natural medicine cabinet with natural antibiotics
- Learn how to use ginger, garlic, and herbs you might have on hand for health
Wish You Knew All the Answers to Keep Your Family Healthy?
How about a crash course?
I’d love to send you a 7-day “Quick Start Guide” email mini-course to give you Health Agency! When something goes wrong in your family, YOU can be the agent of healing and not allllllways have to call a doctor for every little thing.
Imagine this email series as a virtual chat over the backyard fence with your own neighbor, a wise older mom who’s raising 4 kids with intention, trying to avoid unnecessary medication and being kind to the earth.
Looking forward to connecting to help you learn EXACTLY what you need to know to stock your natural remedies “medicine cabinet,” deal with normal childhood ailments, and even the dreaded, “What’s that on my skin?” issue! 🙂
Personal Hygiene Products for Emergency Preparedness
You probably will want to keep washing your hair and smelling halfway decent if the drugstores stop getting shipments, too. Sure, you can keep extras on hand, but wouldn’t it be your luck (I know it would be mine!) if you just found yourself low right before something bad happened?
Some insurance is to know how to make your own products with supplies you really do always have on hand. For example:
- Homemade deodorant
- Homemade shampoo
- Use baking soda as toothpaste
- cleaning with vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
- Natural Cleaning: Clean Start eBook and my favorite natural cleaning supplies
More Emergency Preparedness Resources
- Do you have a 72-hour survival kit?
- Here is a printable one-page emergency plan from FEMA and contact cards for each family member.
- A reader shared a 20-week step-by-step plan to creating a 72-hour survival kit that she wrote up for her church. Here it is.
- I recommend Making the Best of Basics, a real book by James Talmage Stevens that helped me learn to dehydrate when I was a rookie.
- Emergency Food Storage Ideas
- Monday Mission: Quick Trick for Storing Water for Emergencies
Be sure to check out all of my posts on real food emergency preparedness HERE.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links from which I will earn a commission. See my full disclosure statement here.