And I use “literally” in the least literal way possible. It really just drives me nuts. Styrofoam is like the epitome of, “I spit in your face, Earth, I could care less about you.”
- It takes 500 years to break down (if it ever would). In fact, “of the nearly 20 million pounds of waste [Styrofoam] generated annually, about 17.8 million pounds winds up in the air and 1.7 million pounds gets into surface waters.” 1 Styrofoam fills about 25% of the world’s landfills. Ay yi yi!
- Styrene is the main component in Styrofoam (aka polystyrene), and it is likely carcinogenic and leaches into the liquid, especially when it’s hot. 2 Which means, ironically, that the drinks you should NEVER have in foam cups are the hot ones. Which is what people buy foam cups for.
- Styrene is also linked to vision and hearing loss, impaired memory and concentration, and nervous system effects. Wonderful. 3
- The polystyrene manufacturing process is the fifth largest source of hazardous waste. 4
- Styrofoam does release chemicals into the environment in its production and as it breaks down in the earth, including ozone-depleting CFCs. 5
Seriously. I am even more convinced that foam cups are from the devil, which is why it really really gets in my craw that so many churches contribute to all that waste with their coffee and doughnuts! Ack! The worst in my opinion is when groups use Styrofoam for stuff like kids’ lemonade – our church does simply because they’re more sturdy and apparently kids would crush the paper cups and make more mess.
I’m done with you, Styrofoam.
Will you join me in saying no to Styrofoam cups?
Also, be sure to watch for ANY no. 6 plastic, because all this bad stuff applies – for example, some yogurt cups (especially ones for babies, ack!) are no. 6 as well as some cottage cheese tubs. Never microwave in a leftover container made of Styrofoam! I even just read the disposable utensils are usually polystyrene based – I had no idea!
I’ve been so anti-disposables for so long that we’ve had the same bag of foam cups for literally 10 years. We used some at a tailgate wayyyy back and sometimes used a couple for coffee or hot chocolate while camping, but we even use reusable cups on camping trips now.
I just can’t stomach throwing Styrofoam away.
And while not all throwaway coffee cups are Styrofoam, they all contribute to unnecessary waste – which is why I love this stainless steel tumbler from Mighty Nest.
EDIT: Some neat ideas for churches and big gatherings in the comments – add yours!
My husband uses travel coffee mugs all the time – even at home – because they keep the coffee so much warmer. A few years ago, I realized that most of his were plastic (ack!) and some were an unknown metal, which could have been aluminum. I went on a search for insulated, stainless steel mugs – and even in the age of Amazon, it was NOT easy!
I’m thrilled that Mighty Nest is offering this one to my readers for – get this! – just $5, shipping included. It’s usually $17!
Details on how MightyFix works:
- Click this link to have the discount automatically applied to your cart. You’re guaranteed to get the stainless steel mug for $5 (New subscribers only.)
- Choose the full year MightyFix or the $10 for one month version – either will take $5 off automatically and give you free shipping. (The MightyFix item is guaranteed to always be worth more than $10.)
- Choose your school and MightyNest will give back 15% of your purchase. Every month!
- Fill out your payment information and your new stainless steel mug will be on its way!
- Watch for future MightyFix boxes, once a month, and don’t forget to add anything else you need to your order (like dishsoap, lunchboxes, baking supplies etc.) to take advantage of the free shipping.
- You can be a subscriber for as long or short as makes sense for you; there’s no mandatory subscription period. The MightyFix is available in Canada too, which I know will make many of my northern friends happy as they are often left out of stuff like this! Woo hoo!
This is an awesome time to join the fix bc each month fix members will have the great luxury of adding in (think upcoming gift season) and pay ZERO shipping PLUS they have access to member-only prices on products that are constantly changing in our member-only store just for Fix members.
Use the button below (new subscribers only) to claim this incredible offer (even my Canadian friends!):
Clicking the button will automatically add the mug to your cart and give you the promo price after you choose one month or one year for the MightyFix.
Details on the coffee mug:
- 16-oz insulated 304 (18/8) Stainless Steel
- Keeps hot drinks hot and ice drinks cold for hours!
- Food grade silicone lid is very durable and heat resistant
- Dishwasher safe!
- Lid attaches like a disposable coffee cup lid to prevent spills but is not leak proof
- If condensation builds up inside the cup rim dripping may occur (so just check the lid to ensure it’s dry before placing it on the cup)
Thanks to Mighty Nest for offering this great deal and sponsoring the post.