- 1/2 c. beef tallow
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin
- a few drops essential oils
- Simply heat the tallow over very low heat until it
liquifies. Optimally at about 120F (you may need to melt, then cool it a little), stir in EVOO and essential oils. Start with a small amount ofaromatics and add more if necessary. You don’t want the lotion so strong you can’t use it.
- Mix together and put in a container in the fridge to harden, then store at room temperature.
* Use caution with essential oils, particularly if young children might use the lotion. Please read my post on the potential dangers of essential oils.
* I was dehydrating something anyway and simply put one of those little muffin cup shapes of tallow (about 1/4 cup) in a glass bowl on a shelf of the dehydrator. Without any babysitting, it was melted when I was ready for it. Love that! The bowl just went into the dishwasher, so no messy
* Hugs to my mom for rendering tallow for us! That’s love right there, sharing your local,
* Renee of MadeOn swears by the addition of beeswax to any lotion, which would make it a bit harder, but it really seals in the moisturizing oils. I have little doubt that beeswax would be an improvement upon this recipe as well, but it would also increase the mess. For those wanting something a little stronger, the MadeOn DIY kit recipes could be made with tallow instead of coconut oil, for example.