Tis the season to be grilling!
I’m faking you out. These “burgers” aren’t grilled at all. In fact, they’re a meatless meal (but do they *almost* look like real, grilled burgers?). I’ve tried a handful of meatless veggie burger recipes over the years, and most of them end up being rejected or at least smushed into a tortilla and deemed “tasty, but not a burger,” like this favorite chickpea wrap.
A bit of Mexican flare and lots of bread crumbs resurrected these bean burgers from the certain demise of just being “refried beans”. (How to make frugal homemade breadcrumbs.) They were too spicy for my kids, but that’s easily remedied. We adults loved them, and this recipe is a definite “do over.” (That is, we’d eat them again, no problem.)
- 2 c. cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 c. cooked lentils
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapenos or 2-3 tsp. cayenne (to taste!)
- 1/4 c. cilantro (or 2 tsp. dry)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1+ c. bread crumbs
- Allow legumes to cool if you just cooked them.
- Whiz them in a food processor along with vegetables and cilantro.
- When mostly smooth, add salt and pepper, eggs and a cup of bread crumbs, then more bread crumbs bit by bit until a firm consistency is reached.
- Roll into balls slightly larger than a golf ball, then flatten with the heel of your hand into patties.
- Cook in a greased skillet (preferably cast iron) about 5-8 minutes, turning at least once to keep even doneness.
This is too spicy for kids.
Adapted from True Adventures in Money Hacking
Trouble Getting Healthy Food on the Table Every Day?
Enter Real Plans
Real Plans is an online meal planning software & app that is probably smarter than I am.
It works with all food restrictions to help families find the perfect meal, generate a shopping list, scale it up if needed, and you’re totally in control. Use your own fav recipes, skip a suggestion and tell Real Plans all the foods you don’t like/can’t eat, and it will still do half the work of meal planning (or more) for you.
Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more!