- 2 c. cooked black beans
- 1 1/2 c. cooked lentils
- 1/2 small onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 jalapenos or 2-3 tsp. cayenne (to taste!)
- 1/4 c. cilantro (or 2 tsp. dry)
- 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1+ c. bread crumbs
- Allow legumes to cool if you just cooked them.
- Whiz them in a food processor along with vegetables and cilantro.
- When mostly smooth, add salt and pepper, eggs and a cup of bread crumbs, then more bread crumbs bit by bit until a firm consistency is reached.
- Roll into balls slightly larger than a golf ball, then flatten with the heel of your hand into patties.
- Cook in a greased skillet (preferably cast iron) about 5-8 minutes, turning at least once to keep even doneness.
This is too spicy for kids.
Adapted from True Adventures in Money Hacking