- 1 lb. (or ½ lb.) ground beef
- 2 small or 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sweet pepper (red, yellow or orange), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ~8 Roma tomatoes or ~4 whole tomatoes or 1 15-oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 zucchini, chopped (optional)
- spinach or kale leaves, washed and cut
- handful of fresh parsley
- handful of fresh basil
- ½ handful fresh oregano
- (you could substitute a few tsp. dried parsley and basil and 1 tsp. dried oregano)
- 1 c. ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese to top
- Brown ground beef with onion and pepper.
- Add garlic for the last minute.
- Throw in everything else other than the cheeses and cook, covered, until vegetables are done.
- Dollop ricotta on the top (do not stir) and finish off with mozzarella.
- Cover again over very low heat (or none) until cheese is melted.
- Serve over cooked pasta, any style. You could even use lasagna noodles broken up for authenticity or use the same recipe and roll them up!