Forgot to thaw your frozen ground beef before dinner? Have no fear. Let the Instant Pot do the work of thawing and cooking delicious ground beef for you.
- 2 pounds ground beef (we recommend grassfed of course, and ButcherBox will deliver!)
- 1 cup water (or whatever is your pressure cooker’s minimum liquid requirement)
- Place a trivet or steam basket inside the liner of your Instant Pot. These don’t have to be the ones that come with your IP; it just has to fit.
- Add frozen ground beef on top of the trivet, in a big block.
- Add water beneath the trivet.
- Lock the lid, close the sealing valve, and select 25 minutes of pressure cooking on high (manual button).
- Once the program is done, release the pressure immediately (called a ‘quick release’) by opening the valve.
- Take the temperature of your meat, using a instant read meat thermometer. Aim for 160F or above. That thermometer is nice and long and FAST.
- If the meat is undercooked, close the lid, seal, and cook for another 5 minutes — checking again.
- Repeat if necessary.
- Remove ground beef with tongs. Use a sturdy spoon or potato masher to crumble the ground beef.
- Use in your favorite recipe or freeze the meat in pre-portioned bags.
- If you need to cook frozen ground beef without a trivet, the Instant Pot can still do it with this method!
- Remember that the full cook time is really going to be about 40-50 minutes for your dinner planning purposes, because the IP will need at least 10 minutes to get up to pressure.
- Need more Instant Pot recipes? Grab our totally free Instant Pot guidebook with recipes PLUS basic techniques that make life easier with the IP!
- Check out all our ground beef recipes!
- Keep reading below for some FAQs and a photo tutorial.
- Serving Size: 1/4 lb
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 75mg
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 0
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 34.4g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
Keywords: frozen ground beef, Instant Pot, without trivet