This original recipe is also from a Quick Cooking magazine from the year 2000 – that would be the first year I had a kitchen. 😉
- 1 lb. ground beef (less is fine if you’re going frugal)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tbs. celery leaves
- 1 1/2 cups homemade cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk (less if homemade soup is runny)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp.
- Optional: sliced fresh mushrooms
- Cook beef, onion, celery and leaves over medium heat until meat is cooked and veggies tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in soup, milk, W. sauce and pepper.
- Place half the potatoes in a greased 2-quart baking dish (8×8 inch works great).
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Top with half of beef mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 400 degrees for 70 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Total cost: $4-5, even with grassfed beef!
To Freeze: Freeze entire casserole after it has cooked so that potatoes are softened.