Make Taco Night more festive with this tasty brown rice side dish! Using an Instant Pot makes it quick and easy.
- Place the oil/butter, chopped onion and chopped pepper in the Instant Pot and press “Saute”. Saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until veggies start to become translucent. Stir often to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the “Saute” function. Add the tomato paste, salt, cumin and paprika. Stir to incorporate.
- Add rice and water to the pot.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and press “Manual” (or “Pressure Cook”, depending on your model) and use the [-] button to set to 22 minutes.
- Once time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 10 minutes). Remove lid, fluff with a fork, then put the lid back on for another 5-10 minutes.
- Allow rice to rest with lid on until you are ready to serve.
Experiment with flavor and spice level to make it your own. You could try adding more spices or substituting some of the bell pepper for a spicy pepper, like jalapeno or a milder poblano pepper.