- Start with a clean 1L (or quart) jar with a lid. I love Fido and mason jars most.
- Core and cube or chop apples into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped red onions.
- De-seed and slice jalapeno in 4 or more pieces and add to bowl.
- Add ginger (whole) to bottom of jar as you just want the flavor to infuse your salsa.
- Add your lemon juice and allspice to the mixing bowl and mix all your ingredients together.
- Pack your salsa mixture into the jar. Now is the time to add a weight if you’re using one–although it’s not essential, it can help apples stay under the brine and gain the best flavor.
- Mix and water together, and pour over into packed jar. If there isn’t enough water to cover, add a little more. You want to only leave about an inch of space in the jar.
- Close jar tightly and let ferment for 24-48 hours at room temperature, then move to fridge. It should be a bit bubbly, and smell awesome!
- Enjoy chilled!
You can also use sourdough tortillas to make sourdough cinnamon chips by cutting tortilla into wedges, misting with coconut oil, and sprinkling with a cinnamon sugar mixture then baking for a few minutes until crispy. These are perfect for dipping in salsa!