- 1 large eggplant
- Real Salt
- extra virgin
- Parmesan cheese
- Wash and slice the eggplant very thinly, about 1/8″ each.
- Salt the eggplant slices generously and allow to sit for 30 minutes. (Use at least 1/4 tsp. salt for a large eggplant, if not more. Open your shaker up to the “big holes!”)
- Pour the liquid off and preheat a large cast iron skillet or griddle to medium low.
- Grease the surface and lay out a single layer of the eggplant slices.
- Brush the top side lightly with extra virgin olive oil.
- When the underside is browning lightly after about 2-3 minutes, flip each slice.
- Using a microplane grater, shred as much Parmesan cheese as you can on top of each slice.
- Continue cooking until the bottom browns and the cheese is melted, another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to a plate and serve warm. Don’t tell people what they’re eating if they hate eggplant.
* I recommend making this dish only with very fresh eggplant.
* Do not skip the salting/waiting part!