- 1 large butternut or buttercup squash, or 2 large acorn squash, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into sticks
- 2 Tbsp. , avocado oil, melted tallow, melted lard, melted coconut oil, or melted butter
- to taste
- Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler. Cut in half and remove seeds. Cut the flesh into sticks about 1/2-in. thick.
- In a large bowl, mix the squash sticks with oil and a sprinkling of salt.
- Preheat the air fryer with the insert to 390 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Add the squash sticks and any extra fat to the air fryer.
- Cook for 20 minutes, pausing to mix half way through.
- Add extra salt and serve immediately.
- You can make veggie fries with the same process using carrots, parsnips, beets, rutabaga, and kohlrabi.
- To make regular fries or sweet potato fries, soak the potato sticks in cold water for at least 30 minutes. Rinse and dry completely before mixing with the oil.
- Do not overfill the air fryer or the bottom fries will not get crispy. You may have to make the fries in two batches if you have a lot of squash. Keep the first batch crisp in a 300-degree F oven.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 60
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 299mg
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 24.6g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: kid-friendly, vegetable, root vegetable