If you’re looking for a way to cook a moist chicken while creating nutritiously-dense broth, this recipe is for you.
- 1 chicken, 3-5 lbs. (fresh or frozen – see blog post for disclaimer)
- 1 heaping Tbs. salt
- ⅓ c. apple cider vinegar
- cool water
- Place chicken in a large slow cooker.
- Add salt and vinegar.
- Cover with cool water.
- Replace lid and turn slow cooker to LOW.**
- If using a frozen chicken, cook 8-12 hours (or overnight) until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- If using a fresh chicken, cook 4-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove chicken from crock pot. Pick apart meat and serve.
- Strain broth for additional use.
**Some have recommended turning the slow cooker to high for the first two hours and then turning to low. This is also acceptable. Just don’t forget to turn it back to low!