This vegetarian main dish pairs wonderfully with baked winter squash or baked sweet potatoes.
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 2 cups water, or 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. dry ginger
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. dried minced onion
- 2 Tbsp. or other cooking oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey or maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice or 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. (Measure them in the order listed for tidiest use of your measuring spoons!)
- Let it soak for a while before baking, if convenient – this makes the lentils and rice softer and may improve digestibility.
- Bake, covered, at 350F until liquid is absorbed and lentils are tender. Check it after 1 hour, but it often takes 1 hour 15 minutes.
Orange juice gives a “tropical” flavor that some people like and others don’t.
Brown rice will not cook completely in this dish–so unless you like your rice crunchy, use white rice or pre-cooked brown rice.
- Serving Size: 63g
- Calories: 217
- Sugar: 6.7g
- Sodium: 303mg
- Fat: 5.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34.2g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 9.4g
- Cholesterol: 0g