Printed with permission from Fearless Broths and Soups.
- 1 qt. fish broth
- ½ – 1 . dry red wine
- ½ – 1 lb. mussels and/or steamer clams
- ½ – 1 lb. shrimp, removed from shells
- ½ – 1 lb. white fish, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3–6 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4–5 Tbs. tomato paste
- 5–10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2–4 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley
- 2–4 Tbs. fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat in a stockpot over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until softened and fragrant about 5 minutes.
- Add wine, fish broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs. Bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the mussels and/or steamers and simmer until the shells open, about 4-5 minutes. Next, add the shrimp and white fish and simmer until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Top with parsley and basil and add salt and pepper to taste.