A simple, summer soup loaded with potassium.
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chickenor turkey broth
- 3/4 cup dry black-eyed peas, rinsed
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- (optional) 2 Tbsp. diced onion
- 1 tsp. unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- (optional) 1/2 cup rice + 1 cup additional water or broth
- 1 cup frozen or fresh peas
- 2 cups packed beet greens, stems removed, roughly chopped
- (optional) 1/2 cup roasted chicken or beef
- Combine the water, broth, peas, carrots, cumin (and rice + water if using) in the Instant Pot. , garlic, onion, basil and
- Cover and cook 25 minutes on the bean setting.
- Use the natural release method.
- After opening the lid add the peas and beet greens (and chicken if using) and cook on sautee for 3 – 5 minutes, until greens are wilted.
- Serve immediately.
This can be a vegetarian soup if you use vegetable broth.