- olive oil
- Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 – 1/2 c. chicken broth
- pinch or to taste of sugar (less than a Tbs.)
- salt and pepper
- Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet.
- Add a pat of butter and heat both on medium.
- Slice your sprouts in half lengthwise and arrange face-down in the pan.
- Once they begin to brown, use a spatula to mix them up. (I used to turn them all individually to get both sides, but this is lots of unnecessary work.) The cookbook says it’s all about the browning, that this is the step that takes a hated childhood side veg and vaults it to its spotlight placement.
- Add 1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth and sugar.
- Grind on some salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium high one minute.
- Cover and cook two more minutes.
- Uncover and turn the heat up a bit to get rid of the excess liquid and finish the carmelization.
- Serve. Mmm…mmm…good!