A simple, creamy, flavorful Instant Pot chicken dish infused with turmeric and ready to serve over rice and veggies!
- 3 tbsp oil or butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried ginger (or 1 tbsp fresh, minced)
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cardamom (optional)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1.5–2 lbs chicken thighs or parts, bone-in or boneless
- 1 cup bone broth (or water in a pinch)
- and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups plain yogurt (preferably whole milk yogurt)
- 6 cups of prepared rice, for serving (or cauliflower rice)
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting for 10 minutes. Let it heat up for 1 minute, then melt the butter or oil in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the onions and saute them until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Place the chicken in the pan and give everything a good stir so the chicken is covered in the spices.
- Pour in the bone broth and stir once more, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and seal it. Set the manual pressure setting to cook for 12 minutes for boneless chicken, 15 minutes for bone-in. Press Start.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, then open the lid and stir in the salt, pepper, and yogurt. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as necessary.
- Use two forks to split the chicken thighs into smaller portions.
- Serve Turmeric-Spiced Chicken and sauce over prepared rice, with steamed or roasted vegetables on the side.
You can prepare rice in the Instant Pot too! This is one reason two Instant Pots, or at least two inner pots can be really handy. But if you’re like me and have one, just pour the chicken into a saucepan and cover it so it stays warm. Rinse out the inner pot and make a batch of rice in the Instant Pot!
Dairy-Free Option: Use coconut cream or your favorite thick, plain, dairy-free yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 562
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 170 mg
- Fat: 17.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 43 g
- Cholesterol: 106 mg
Keywords: turmeric, curry, chicken, dinner