A low sugar and allergen free first birthday cupcake made with parsnips and applesauce.
- 3 tsp. grass-fed
- 1/4 cup rice milk or cold water
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 2 Tbsp. psyllium husk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup pureed parsnips
- 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. organic vanilla
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup rice milk (or other milk substitute or water)
- Peel, chop and simmer 2 medium parsnips in a small amount of water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a small bowl combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup rice milk or water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, psyllium husk, , baking soda and cream of tartar. Mix to blend.
- Add 1/2 cup parsnip puree, applesauce, oil, honey, vanilla, and 1/2 cup rice milk. Beat to combine well.
- Add the hot water to the gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add this mixture to the batter and beat until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
The cupcakes can be made in advance and frozen for up to six months.
The parsnip puree can be made up to three days in advance. There may be extra puree. Serve the extra as a vegetable side or in your favorite soup.
Use sunbutter or ghee mixed with a little honey for a simple frosting.