- Crush garlic and set aside to maximize health benefits. Melt fat over medium heat. Saute the leeks until softened, then add carrots for a few minutes, then add garlic for the last minute.
- Pour in stock and add oregano and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes. , paprika,
- Meanwhile, simmer an inch or two of water in a frying pan or shallow pot (enough to cover an egg). Add a few pinches of salt. Drop enough eggs in for one per eater (4 is likely the maximum for a single pan) and set the timer for 3-4 minutes, cooking on medium low with the cover off. If you’re cooking for many, you can set the cooked eggs aside, then warm them up for a minute in the hot water or just rely on the hot soup to heat them up in the bowl.
- Using a slotted spoon, move each poached egg into a bowl then ladle the finished soup on top. Serve with Parmesan cheese at the table.
* For an even simpler soup, omit the carrots.
* Serve as a starter soup, breakfast side or main dish with crusty bread and a big salad.
* If you want to make a double batch, the soup base freezes excellently, and then you can make eggs as needed for leftovers.
* Inspired by the Spanish Garlic Soup in Kimi Harris’s awesome soup book, Ladled.