This framework makes it simple to get a flavorful roast with 4 different options: basic, Italian, Mexican or French.
- 3 lb. beef shoulder roast (or adjust for smaller or larger roasts)
- 1–3 Tbs. Fat
- A deglaze option
- 1 c. liquid
- Herbs or spices
- 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1/2–1 tsp. pepper
- 2–10 cloves minced garlic or 1/2–2 tsp. garlic powder
Terrible recipe, right? See the chart below to see which options to use in each category for each flavor profile.
- Melt the fat on high and, if using an Instant Pot and you have an extra 15 minutes, brown the beef roast on all sides for about 3 minutes each.
- If using onions, mushrooms, or peppers, brown them in the fat next. (I don’t bother removing the roast, just stir the veggies around it, but you may remove to a plate.)
- If using a deglaze option, that goes in next, and stir around for a minute.
- Carefully pour in the liquid and return the roast if you removed it.
- Nestle other veggies around the roast.
- If using green beans, steam separately unless you like overcooked green beans.
- Sprinkle the herbs, spices, garlic, salt, and pepper all over the roast and veggies.
- Cook according to the following directions:
- Instant Pot sliced roast beef: 25 minutes per pound, quick release and test temp for 145F, add 5-10 minutes more pressure if necessary.
- Instant Pot shredded shoulder roast: 30 minutes per pound, natural pressure release until falling apart. Add 10 minutes more at pressure if necessary.
- Slow cooker shredded beef: 8-10 hours on low or 5+ hours on high.
- Add the acid right at the end to the juices.
- See serving ideas in the chart and enjoy!
- Calories: 1088
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 904mg
- Fat: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Unsaturated Fat: 37g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 22g
- Cholesterol: 421mg
Keywords: simple dinner, quick roast, make ahead dinner