- Peel the ginger root and thinly slice.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the ginger root, water, honey, and lime peel. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool.
- Strain the ginger pieces and lime peel, and pour the cooled syrup into an airtight container.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare the ginger ale, mix together about 2 tablespoons of syrup with 6 ounces of sparkling water over ice. Stir gently to combine.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy.
Regarding the bubbles: You can use any type of sparkling water or club soda for these recipes. Keep in mind that your final product will mirror what you’re mixing in, so a sparkling water with small bubbles and lower carbonation will result in a soda of similar mouth feel. For us, we carbonate our still water using a Sodastream (on Amazon, aff. link).