Real Food Rendition of Mom Kimball’s Pepper Steak
- Cut meat into strips and brown in a large pot with oil or butter.
- Cut 2 onions into thin slices and add to meat, sauteing until translucent.
- Pour molasses in and add and pepper.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer on low 1.5-2 hours.
- When the meat is practically falling apart, add strips of pepper, the last onion cut into chunks, and optional tomato.
- Bring to a low boil.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water and add to hot liquid, stirring constantly until thick.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
* Note: Grassfed beef should be cooked over low heat when pan frying or grilling, but with this method, it doesn’t matter. Anything will be tender!
* Timesaver: I keep a glass jar just for mixing cornstarch and water. I know it will close watertight, and I just rinse it out instead of washing it after use.
* UPDATE: You can make this recipe in the Instant Pot too, super easy! Just use the “saute” function to brown the meat and saute the onions. Add everything else (at least 2 cups water) and cook on 30 minutes at high pressure (the Stew/Meat function). Use a natural pressure release, then add the peppers and onion and cook with the “Saute” function a few minutes. Add the cornstarch slurry last (never pressure cook with a thickener already in the liquid). (More easy Instant Pot meals here) and be sure to download our Guidebook below (which includes this recipe in IP form). Enjoy!