- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1 c. buttermilk or milk or yogurt**
- 1 c. water
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil (use the code STEWARDSHIP for 10% off at that site!) (can add this in the morning if you’d rather melt your coconut oil in the pan you cook your pancakes in)
- 4 lightly beaten eggs
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix flour, buttermilk/milk/yogurt, water, vinegar and coconut oil
- Leave on counter for 12-24 hours to soak
- Just before cooking add eggs, baking powder, baking soda and
*This recipe works with all regular whole wheat, is much better with half whole wheat/half pastry flour, and is best with all pastry flour. Pastry flour is more expensive, so I like to go 1/2 and 1/2 most of the time.
**Because you’re adding vinegar to the milk, it’s a “fake” buttermilk of sorts and hasn’t had a problem sitting on my counter overnight. Raw milk would be safest for this though if you choose to use milk. You can also use the dairy choice in place of the water for even richer pancakes. i have tried all three options, and I think the milk is the best one, but I often use homemade yogurt.