- 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned or quick oats (not instant)
- 1 cup diced
- 6 Tbs melted unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¼ tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread oats in a shallow layer in an ungreased round cake pan.
- Spread nuts in a shallow layer in another ungreased cake pan.
- Bake the nuts until they smell toasty and are beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Bake the oats until they’re starting to brown, 15-18 minutes.
- Watch both carefully; they go from brown to burned quickly.
- Remove them from the oven and transfer to a food processor.
- Add the butter, sugar and salt.
- Process until the oats and nuts are finely ground and the mixture is cohesive.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and press it into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch regular (not deep-dish) pie pan that’s at least 1 ¼ inches deep.
- Bake the crust until it’s just barely beginning to brown, 14 minutes. Remove it from the oven and set it on a rack to cool.