Note: Ingredients often use affiliate links, but obviously you should shop for the best price and try to keep your dollars local when you can.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder or 2–3 tsp. minced onion
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove minced garlic)
- 1 1/4 c. tomato sauce
- hefty squirt of mustard
- 1 3/4 c. water
- salt (Use the code kitchenstewardship for 15% off of your first purchase) to taste (at least 1/2 tsp?)
- 2 1/2 c. pasta (see note below)
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Brown and drain beef.
- Stir in pepper, onion powder, garlic, tomato sauce, and mustard.
- Pour in water and pasta.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat;
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed and the pasta is cooked.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cheese.
We have successfully used gluten-free pasta (brown rice), and cut a 1/4 c. of water from the recipe to avoid mushiness.
- Calories: 800
- Sugar: 2.6g
- Sodium: 811mg
- Fat: 21.3g
- Saturated Fat: 10.3g
- Carbohydrates: 97.4
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 52.5g
- Cholesterol: 232mg
Keywords: homemade, healthy, hamburger helper, copycat, real food