An easy meatless meal for any day of the week!
- 1 c.dry quinoa
- 1 Tbs. fat, good for sauteeing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 poblano pepper, chopped (green or colored bell works too)
- 1 cayenne pepper, seeded, chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 Tbs. taco seasoning
- 1 tsp.salt
- 2 15-oz. cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 c. water or stock (beef or chicken)
- 4 c. cooked beans or 2 cans, drained and rinsed*
- optional: other veggies like diced or shredded zucchini, greens, more peppers, etc.
- shredded cheddar or feta cheese
- diced red or white onion
- green onion
- diced colored peppers
- cubed avocado
- The night before, rinse quinoa and soak in an ample amount of water.
- Drain and rinse quinoa.
- In a large pot, saute the onions and all peppers in oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and salt and stir to combine for a minute, then add tomatoes and water/broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in quinoa, bring to a boil again and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans and simmer 5 more minutes until heated through.
- Serve hot with optional toppings.
- Add additional broth or water to reheat leftovers.
* I used black and pinto beans in the picture; kidney and garbanzo mixed or all one kind of bean would be yummy too.
If you want to try the dish with brown rice, I can only imagine it would work out since rice and quinoa have the same water-to-grain ratio. Increase cook time to 40 or 45 minutes.