Carrots, creamy rich coconut milk and chicken broth with Thai-infused herbs and seasonings make up this flavor filled, healthy soup.
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 2 shallots or 1 medium onion, minced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut into ¼ -inch slices
- 1 to 1 ½ -inch piece fresh galangal or ginger, peeled and cut into ? to ¼ inch slices
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 4–6 kaffir lime leaves, ripped in half
- 1 TBSP fish sauce
- 1 14-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1 red Thai bird’s eye chile, sliced in half and seeded, optional
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh cilantro, coarsley chopped
- Seasonings, to taste
- Fish sauce or soy sauce
- Fresh chiles, thinly sliced or chile powder
- Fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Fresh Thai basil, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black or white pepper
- Fresh lime juice
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium or large stockpot over medium heat. Add the shallots or onion, garlic, galangal or ginger and lemongrass and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots, kaffir lime leaves and fish sauce and reduce the heat to a steady simmer. Cover the stockpot and simmer until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, bird’s eye chile (if using) and cilantro and simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove and discard the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and bird’s eye chile.
- Puree the soups with a handheld immersion blender (or pour into a blender to puree).
- Ladle the soup into individual bowls and add seasonings, all of which are optional. You can use any combination of the seasonings to suit your own tastes!