Recipe adapted from that of my neighbor with Celiac disease.
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (needs to have at least 10% fat)
- 1/4 c. ketchup or favorite salsa
- 2 to 3 slices bread (gluten-free works great), cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbs. dried minced onion or 1/2 medium onion, diced (save other half for garnish)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- for the BBQ Sauce:
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbs. ketchup (check to avoid high fructose corn syrup)
- 2 Tbs. vinegar
- 2 Tbs. water
- 3/4 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- two good squirts of mustard (no more than 1 Tbs.)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground lemon pepper (just plain pepper works too)
- Make a panade by combining the milk, egg, and bread.
- Add in remaining ingredients and knead together.
- Shape into two medium small loaves (use child’s traced foot for sizing suggestion.)
- Cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm sauce ingredients in a small pot until combined and slightly thickened. This would also be the time to start boiling potatoes for mashing (russets make the best colored ghost poop but we used up the last of our yukon golds this time.)
- Remove from oven and garnish with onion toenails and onion stumps of leg bone.
- Top the meat with the sauce and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Note: Feel free to use ANY meatloaf recipe and shape into big ugly feet. So fun! Katie’s easy meatloaf or meatball recipe even includes secret veggies…