- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 c. chicken stock (or vegetable broth, see below)
- 5 oz. baby spinach (organic if possible)
- 3 cans white (great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
- (or about 2-3 cups dry beans, soaked and cooked)
- 1 tsp. each thyme, oregano
- ¼ tsp rosemary or marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and herbs; cover and cook until onion is soft, 5-8 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in broth and drained beans, increase heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 2 cups of beans to a bowl and set aside.
- Puree remaining soup in 3 small batches in blender until smooth. Note: you can skip the pureeing or use a stick blender in the pot if you have one.
- Return soup and beans to saucepan; heat to a simmer. Stir in spinach.