- 1 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 c. pureed pumpkin
- 3/4 c. water
- 2 Tbs buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1/2 c. melted butter or refined coconut oil (use the code STEWARDSHIP for 10% off at that site!)
- 1 c. sugar or sucanat
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Soak white whole wheat flour, pureed pumpkin (optional), water, buttermilk/yogurt, and butter/coconut oil together overnight or for 12-24 hours on the countertop.
- When ready to bake, add the sweetener, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, , and 3 spices. Mix well – be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl a few times and beat hard to get everything fully incorporated.
- Pour into muffin cups and bake 40-45 minutes at 325 degrees F (35-40 with honey). They’ll be a bit more moist than you’re used to with the “toothpick test”.
- Do not overbake!
- Allow to rest 5 minutes in the tins, then tip out to cool on racks.