- 3/4 c. dry green lentils
- 1/2 c. brown rice
- 1 c. water
- 2 1/2 c. homemade chicken stock
- 1 c. tomato sauce (8 oz. can) or 1 6-oz. can tomato paste + and extra ½ c. stock
- 3/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. of chopped green or red pepper
- 1 grated or finely chopped carrot
- 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- optional: other vegetables like spinach, broccoli
- 3 tsp. Italian seasoning or taco seasoning
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 c. grated cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar, but Mexican blend with the taco seasoning or mozzarella with the Italian is also great)
- Combine rice, lentils, and water in the slow cooker following this rice soaking method.
- Allow to soak overnight with the machine turned off.
- Drain the water off (save some for next time; see method), then add all the other ingredients except the cheese to the slow cooker and mix well (use a non-metal spoon for most ceramic slow cookers).
- Set slow cooker to high for four hours or low for 8 hours, adding cheese about a half hour from the end of the time.
- Serve with salsa and sliced avocados for the Mexican version, and optional warmed spaghetti sauce with the Italian is great.