The Family Camping Handbook: Real Food in the Big Woods, 2nd edition

BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big WoodsIf you’ve always wanted to try camping as a frugal family vacation but are nervous because you have little ones, whether they’re babies, toddlers, or preschoolers, the newly UPDATED second edition of the Family Camping Handbook will show you how to survive and even thrive out in the woods with young children. You can bring your babes and your real food, too!

Think you need to pack lots of toys? Try a kid’s shovel. Wondering how to organize your campsite? Give everything a place, and you’ll wish you were camping once you get home to your real house.

The Family Camping Handbook: Real Food in the Big Woods gives an overview of how to get started camping, what to bring, the proper campin’ attitude, and of course, real food adaptations to standard camping fare. No need to compromise with hot dogs and white buns just because you’re out in the woods with a campfire!

BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

Family Camping Handbook:
(eBook Premium Package)

Real Food in the Big Woods
(57 pages + SIX bonuses, including Kindle + Nook)

$6.95

Any coupon code is entered after clicking the “Buy Now” button once the item is in your cart.

If you can’t see the buy button, click here.

Empty Cart $0.00
Ever misplace a file or lose an eBook? Use this super-easy, one quick tip to find your purchased Kitchen Stewardship eBooks in a minute or less!

You can see all KS eBooks HERE, including:

***Check out new bundled packages at a discount HERE!*** If you’re a blogger and interested in the affiliate program, click here.

Skillet Meal 1

Table of Contents

What’s inside? Take a peek (click on each page to view larger):

The 2nd Edition of The Family Camping Handbook Boasts:

• nearly 20% more pages!
  • 6 new complete recipes plus 8 more food ideas
  • A total of 36 camping recipes and techniques for campfire cooking
  • handfuls of new tips scattered throughout
  • Three-column chart of conventional camping food, compromise upgrades, and real food options
  • FIVE printable packing and to do lists, plus a sample weekend menu plan
  • Plus a Paleo/Primal/Grain-free adaptation, 2 Gluten-free camping menu plans and 10 printable recipe cards

Skillet Meal 2

Premium Package Includes:

When you purchase the Family Camping Handbook, you automatically get the entire premium package:
BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

PDF downloadable eBook, Family Camping Handbook (57 Pages)

BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

Kindle & Nook Files

Kitchen Stewardship Family Camping Handbook

Two Gluten-Free Menu Plans
Designed for a weekend trip away from home, using a campfire or grill/griddle for cooking. All the recipes but one or two are either included on printable cards or with a link to an online resource

Kitchen Stewardship Family Camping Handbook

10 Gluten-Free Recipe Cards
to go with the gluten-free menu plans above

Kitchen Stewardship Family Camping Handbook

Paleo/Primal/Grain-free Adaptation Guide
for the meal plan included in the book, including 4 printable recipes and other helpful links to build your own

Kitchen Stewardship Family Camping Handbook

Gluten-free Lunch Ideas
to stick to your fridge to help keep things fresh when packing gluten-free lunches (or adding variety to any packed meal)

$6.95
Skillet Meal 3
Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods has three purposes:

1. To give practical advice to novice family campers on a successful vacation with a tent.
  2. To encourage families with very young children that you can survive (and enjoy!) a family camping vacation with infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
  3. To give any camping family real food adaptations and compromise options for conventional low-nutrient camping fare. BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

This book is for you if:

• You’ve never camped before but want to learn how
  • You’ve camped before, but not with children under five
  • You wish you had more quirky tips for family camping with young children
  • You wish you had some real food options for the conventional camping fare

Whether you’re a seasoned camper wishing you could eat more nourishing foods on your trip or a novice ready for a frugal, natural vacation, there’s something for everyone in the Family Camping Handbook from Kitchen Stewardship.

Paul with toad_300px

BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

Family Camping Handbook:
(eBook Premium Package)

Real Food in the Big Woods
(57 pages + SIX bonuses, including Kindle + Nook)

$6.95

If you can’t see the buy button, click here.

Empty Cart $0.00

Read the Reviews:

“We FINALLY got to go on our first trip over this past weekend. I used your e-book as my guide and I was so happy that I did! I packed what you said to pack, followed all the details, used your meal plans and it was all great! So very, very helpful to a total novice like me. My family was very pleased with the food and I felt great that we got to go camping and still eat wholesome food (along with the occasional s’more). Anyway, just wanted to say great job on the e-book and thank you for putting it out there! I know I’ll be using it for many years to come.”
–unsolicited from a customer

“Wow! I have to say it again, what a great resource this is for families. I was surprised to find that it was more of a “how to camp” book than just a “how to cook real food while camping” book, however, I think it is this aspect that will make it such a great “go-to” resource for many people. – I know I’ve learned a few things! :)
There were a few parts that I laughed out loud and many others that made me smile. You have me convinced that if my husband and I are ever blessed with children that we can handle camping with an infant or toddler, AND that it will be fun! (Seriously, I am ready to pack up the car right now and get camping!)”
–Andi, a KS reader

“This definitely raised my confidence in venturing out to camp with my baby and husband.”
–Theresa, a KS reader

“We so enjoyed the e-book. Both my husband and I read it and we both were thoroughly impressed. I recently purchased another e-book on camping and to be honest it was just filled with a bunch of camping stories plus some helpful info, whereas [the Family Camping Handbook] was all completely practical and helpful. [This] e-book can easily replace multiple resources on the subject. Its great usefulness is found in how comprehensive it is.”
–Amos and Edwena, Cincinnati, OH

$6.95

“[The Family Camping Handbook has] already inspired me to plan a camping trip sometime this summer or early Fall. I was a little intimidated to plan one with a two year old, but we can do it! I think the book will help others do the same. ”
–Jessica, a KS reader

“What I Love about the Family Camping Handbook: It reveals the Kimball family’s heart for simplicity, quality time, and family bonding, which I found more precious than anything.”
–Wardeh Harmon, editor of GNOWFGLINS blog and eCourses

“Katie has put together a very comprehensive, thorough and helpful guide for moms and dads who want to get out into nature with their kids and enjoy the frugality and simplicity that camping offers, but without the general frustration and challenges that camping can present.”
–Stephanie Langford, Keeper of the Home

Skillet Meal 4

Why am I Qualified to Write about Camping?

I didn’t grow up camping. In fact, my mother didn’t like it when she joined us for two hours.

I haven’t camped a zillion times. It is not second nature to me.

However, I did survive camping with a group of teenagers of whom I was in charge as a college-aged youth group leader – thanks to the help of smart volunteers bringing their creative energy to camp. I didn’t know what I was doing in the least, but I learned a lot, fast.

My husband and I were also crazy enough to camp with our 3-year-old and 3-month-old when the only amenity we had was a firepit. And we lived to tell about it. Happy stories, even.

We’ve refined and improved our family camping habits every year, and last year as a blogger, I found myself brimming over with advice for other camping families. Thus the Family Camping Handbook was born, on the back of our meal plan hanging in the screen tent.

Buy It Here!

BOOK COVER Kitchen Stewardship in the Big Woods

Family Camping Handbook:
(eBook Premium Package)

Real Food in the Big Woods
(57 pages + SIX bonuses, including Kindle + Nook)

$6.95

If you can’t see the buy button, click here.

Empty Cart $0.00

Eco/Frugal tip: If you print the book, try setting your printer to “grayscale” to save on color ink.

Wondering what sunscreen to pack? You’ll want to read my natural sunscreen review, the most comprehensive on the web!

Have you seen these perfect summer recipes for in-season produce?

My Other Books

You can see all KS eBooks HERE, including:

If you’re a blogger and interested in the affiliate program, click here.

I’d love to see more of you! Sign up for a free email subscription or grab my reader feed. You can also follow me on Twitter, get KS for Kindle, or see my Facebook Fan Page.

Kitchen Stewardship is dedicated to balancing God’s gifts of time, health, earth and money. If you feel called to such a mission, read more at Mission, Method, and Mary and Martha Moments.

I just bough & downloaded the e-book :) It’s very comprehensive — we’re experienced backcountry/canoe campers. I will definitely recommend it to some friends.

The b/w edition wouldn’t matter to me, as I’d just set my printer to ‘greyscale’ :)

Love it! Can’t wait to see the real food options while camping! Sent hte link to my SiL who is anxious to get out camping this summer but a little curious about how to do it with a 3 month old. I have 2 who are 4 and 6 and they first went camping at 3 and 1 1/2. I was a camping novice and didn’t know camping with littles was an issue for some…we just packed them up and hauled them along! But I bet we could’ve done it more simply!

I don’t have kids, but I want to know more about taking nourishing foods on our camping trips and out backpacking. Is this book useful for me? How much of the book is about kids?
    .-= AmandaonMaui´s last blog ..Just a Few More Reasons =-.

Katie Reply:

Amanda,
    Great question. I’m scanning my own table of contents, and I guess I would say only about 10% of the info wouldn’t apply to you at all. Much of it is camping basic, and about 30-50% is about food. Does that help? Thanks for the good question!

4. Hillary says

Bought the e-book first thing this morning and have been pouring over it. It’s wonderful! We are brand new to camping and just starting to buy up our supplies. We’ve got two boys (ages 4 & 6) and I think your book will be SUCH a blessing to us! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

I LOVE this Katie! I’m only halfway through it (48 pages!) but it’s so thorough.

What I appreciate most about this book is that it “thinks” for you. When planning a trip, my brain into one of two directions: it’s either “wow, can’t wait! Let’s go!” and then the details drag me down and take the fun out of it, or “I’m totally overwhelmed at the thought of leaving the house” and not knowing where to start doesn’t even allow the enthusiasm to emerge.

The camping handbook is presented in such a way to be your brain as you organize, and keep the fun going as you plan.

Thank you Katie! We’re meeting some friends at the campground on Monday and now I feel way more prepared :)

Renee

About to purchase the ebook. As for the poll on printing: I would like to print in B&W, but I probably wouldn’t pay extra for the option. If there was a separate purchase option of B&W only book that would def. appeal to me! ($1 less? *grin*)

7. Johanna says

Perfect timing, as we are going to the Carolinas this fall and want to go to Vermont in the next few years. Uh, just got to the part about hygiene. So if praying doesn’t work, thoughts on the Diva cup? Do you really recommend ‘sposies for mama? I suppose boiling is easy enough, but the extra strain on potable water resources might be bad. As for dipes, I got excited that DS would be PL’d. Then again by then we’d have #2. While I’d love to experience washing dipes in a river and wacking the soils out on rocks [plus we line dry now anyway], that might take away from all the other fun “nature” stuff. Now that I think of it, if I’m BFing, it’s a safe bet I won’t need any monthly supplies for myself anyway. So REALLY, ‘sposies for the babes?

Katie Reply:

Johanna,
    I wanted to switch to cloth about a year ago, but I was worried that I’d invest too much $ and not recoup it. If we have another child, we’ll do cloth, but that and my own fem care are two areas I’m definitely not “green” in. *cringe* I’m realistic! Can only do so much at once – I just got my cycles back, so that’s on my list to figure out.

Johanna Reply:

I hear you. One step at a time!

Jenn Kallman Reply:

Just found your site and this looks like a helpful camping tool. I thought I would chime in on the diaper thing since I have a fair amount of experience with it. We tent camp multiple times each summer as a family 6 (kids 3yrs, 2yrs, 1yr and #4 due in Dec) and have been doing so each summer since we married. Once cloth diapered babies came along I purchased super-cheap one-ply cloth diapers to use while camping. They are huge 42’x42′ squares like your grandma probably used and you fold them to put on baby. They work great for camping because being so thin they are easy to wash out just about anywhere and they also dry very quickly. I don’t boil diapers since the sun is a great disinfectant. Very cost effective and do-able. Although I will say that I use disposables for the babes if we are camping for a week or more at a time as I like to only have to wash once(or not at all for just a weekend!) and use my time for fun “camping” things! :) I hope to purchase a copy of this to check out your tips and to share with our siblings who are building their own families and will want to keep camping.

8. Natalie says

Please! How do I get the two copies I ordered??? I didn’t receive any email notification… Is there a customer service number I can call?

Katie Reply:

Natalie,
    I emailed you at this address when your first comment came through, but I didn’t hear back from you. You can email kitchenstew @ gmail.com with the appropriate email. Be sure to check your spam folder for whatever email you use for PAYPAL, as that’s where the books automatically come. They come from “ejunkie”. If that doesn’t help, please email me! I am on vacation this week, though, so the turnaround might not be super fast.
    Thanks – Katie

I bought the first edition last summer…is there just a way to get the new added items instead of the entire book again?
    Thanks so much for all the info!

Katie Reply:

Jolene,
    You need to get the entire book, but you should have an email in your Paypal email with the special code for only $1 for the update. ;) If you can’t find the email, email me and I’ll send it to you. :) Katie

10. Dulcia says

Hi Katie! Yesterday we came from our first family camping trip. I printed this ebook and my husband and me read it while we were travelling.
    It helped so much! I whish i could send my first campfire picture to your husband ;) great tips!
    Thanks!

Dulcia from Argentina

Katie Reply:

Dulcia,
    Yay, that’s awesome! :) Katie

11. Rob C says

Katie, I could have sworn that I bought this e-book, but I can’t find it on my computer now that I need it. Can you verify one way or the other whether I’ve purchased this one. I know I have all your others. :-)

Rob C Reply:

Actually, in looking through my Paypal history, I see I bought it on 8/7/12 as part of the “Traveling with Real Food” bundle. However, I only seem to have received the HSTG book. Can you send me the camping book?

Katie Kimball @ Kitchen Stewardship Reply: