- 1⅓ cups water
- 1 Tbs + 1 tsp olive oil or melted butter
- 3 Tbs honey
- 2 heaping Tbs yogurt or whey (or apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or cultured buttermilk)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour plus ¼ c, divided
- 1¾ tsp active dry yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- Mix by hand the water, oil/butter, honey, yogurt, and 3 cups flour. You can do it right in the bread machine bucket/pan.
- Carefully make a mound of ¼ cup whole wheat flour on top of the wet ingredients. Make a well in the middle and add yeast and salt. The idea is not to let the yeast touch the wet ingredients. The salt will inhibit the breakdown of the phytates and enzyme inhibitors, so you want that mixed in last too.
- Soak overnight or longer at room temperature, then start the bread machine using the whole wheat cycle. If your machine has a delay timer, this is an easy soak and can be ready in the morning for breakfast.
I’m not going to lie here — this is still breadmaker bread…it’s yummy toasted with honey though. I had an awful time finding a soaked recipe online though, so I made my own. I just don’t have the time to make REAL bread in the oven!
Powered by Sidelines