My kitchen tip for this week is to think outside the box when it comes to counter space. If you have an appliance as heavy as a KitchenAid mixer, you probably store it on your countertop. Here are three tips to help you make better use of time and space:
- Put a dishcloth or small towel under the mixer, making it easy to slide around your counter as needed.
- Allow yourself to store a few items inside the bowl. You know, those random little things that you use often and/or don’t seem to have a rightful “place” in your kitchen? In my bowl, you’ll find my candy thermometer, because I use it almost every week for homemade yogurt and was always leaving the sheath on the counter cluttering things up. You’ll recently find a coffee filter, which covers my new countertop-incubating yogurt starter (I can’t wait to tell you more about that and share a freebie with you in a few weeks!). Sometimes you’ll find a couple random items that were on my counter when someone stopped by and I quickly cleaned up! Tee hee hee…don’t tell!
- Try to use it twice, every time. I hate washing big things like mixer bowls, food processors, and blenders. I really despise using them quickly for one little things and them having to disassemble and clean the whole darn thing. Just this week, I’ve combined without washing in between:
- Chopping nuts and making these smoothies in the blender (not at the same time, mind you – you chop the nuts, quick rinse, then make smoothies)
- Slicing and shredding zucchini (for 2 batches of bread and two meals), then salsa, then chopping extra jalapenos to freeze in the food processor
- baking these breadsticks (half as hamburger buns), then pumpkin muffins AND zucchini bread – I did a quick rinse after the breadsticks and brazenly went from one quick bread recipe to another without even a thought to the disastrous consequences of not rinsing…and everything was delicious!
- I often double up on bread crumbs and green smoothies in the blender, and granola and granola bars with the KitchenAid. Less dishes is a super time saver!
If you missed the last Monday Mission, click here.
Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Amazon and will receive commission if you make any purchase starting with that link.