Our family is so weird, we even eat soup in the summer.
You know why?
Because it’s so easy to make a big batch and actually have leftovers. I can always make a fresh salad or summery side.
Winter Comfort Food with a Fresh Twist
But. Obviously chili is the best winter comfort food EVER, and this one is super easy to make.
The addition of a splash of lime juice at the end adds that little edge that is so fresh, it will remind you of summer in spite of your best efforts to snuggle in with a warm bowl of comforting chili on a snowy day.
Just double it. 😉 Once you’re making soup, it’s so little work to make extra, and you can always freeze it. This one is simple and delicious for any family.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 Tbs. olive oil (or any cooking fat)
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) great northern (or any white) beans, drained and rinsed
- OR about a cup dried beans, soaked and cooked (for 3-4 c. beans)
- 2 Tbs minced fresh parsley (or dried)
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbs. corn starch or arrowroot starch
- ¼ c. cold water
- 2 c. cooked chicken
- 1 Tbs lime juice
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, pepper and garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in broth, beans, parsley and cumin – bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into chili.
- Add chicken.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and squeeze in the lime juice last so the flavor remains fresh.
* Timesaver: This a super quick meal to begin with! Freeze your cooked chicken from making stock in 2-cup portions.
* Money-saver: Buy limes on sale (or better yet, reduced produce) and juice them all, freezing in 1 Tbs. portions in ice cube trays. Store in a bag in the freezer, and you can just throw one in the soup and you have fresh lime juice instead of bottled. (But that works too!)
Trouble Getting Healthy Food on the Table Every Day?
Enter Real Plans
Real Plans is an online meal planning software & app that is probably smarter than I am.
It works with all food restrictions to help families find the perfect meal, generate a shopping list, scale it up if needed, and you’re totally in control. Use your own fav recipes, skip a suggestion and tell Real Plans all the foods you don’t like/can’t eat, and it will still do half the work of meal planning (or more) for you.
Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more!
Go Big and Don’t Go Broke with Homemade Soups!
Like most soups, this recipe will freeze great if you have leftovers or make a double batch.
Save tons of money by making your own homemade chicken stock, shredding the chicken for this recipe from a whole chicken, and of course, cook dry beans in bulk.
Find more great bean recipes in The Everything Beans Book, including a cheesy white chicken chili that is so different from this one in every way – except how easy it comes together!