How to Plant Tomatoes: 8 Things I Put in the Tomato Planting Hole

I’m no master gardener, but I am a perfectionist and rather thorough when I decide to tackle a project. Three years ago, my new thing was vegetable gardening. As a result of all my reading, watching me plant a tomato is almost like watching me make a complicated recipe in my kitchen.

tomato planting

The 8 Things I put in my Tomato Plant Holes (Other than the Tomato Plant) for Awesome Yield:

1. banana peel
  2. fish head/bones/schtuff
  3. composted manure
  4. Epsom salts*
  5. baking soda*
  6. nonfat dry milk*
  7. 1 tsp. sugar
  8. ¼ cup Espoma GardenTome organic fertilizer

*Recipe for tomato blight buster: Mix 3 cups compost, 1/2 cup powdered nonfat milk, 1/2 cup Epsom salts, 1 Tbs. baking soda. Sprinkle a handful into each planting hole, and put some powdered milk on the soil every few weeks throughout the growing season.

Our contributor Haley has an awesome post on the many varieties of tomatoes available, plus a tomato and mint salad recipe!

Most of my homemade gardening solutions and tips are from Jerry Baker’s Terrific Garden Tonics that I checked out of the library three years ago when I decided I wanted to garden, copied what I needed and took back. I also grabbed some of his many other books, but I can’t recall which ones. My gardening tub in the garage is full of all sorts of weird stuff as a result, from tea bags and mouthwash to cheap beer and tobacco (I felt the need to explain to the cashier that this purchase was for my garden!).

My Grandpa’s Tomato Tip

This is the most brilliant way to water tomatoes in the world. Tomatoes don’t really appreciate their leaves getting wet, so watering at the base is important. Go one step further and bury a plastic jug, like a milk jug, next to each plant. Before burying, use scissors or a kitchen knife to puncture holes in it on the bottom and sides. Fill the jug with water with your hose, and it goes right to the roots of the plant, feeding it well all summer long.

At the end of the season, you can easily string up the jugs and cutworm collars and hang them in your garage until next year.

3 More Tips for Tomato Planting Success

1. Dig a deep hole. You want only the top leaves of the tomato to be sticking out. You will feel like an idiot burying all those beautiful green leaves on the bottom of your plant, especially if you worked hard to grow them yourself. It’s important, though, because the plant will grow roots from the entire stem, making its gripping system stronger and feeding system able to consume more nutrients from the soil.
  2. Lay the tomato plant sideways in the hole so that the stem goes along the ground,  It has the opportunity to put roots down the whole way.
  3. Use a cutworm collar. Cut the bottom out of a plastic food container like cottage cheese or sour cream, and place it down into the dirt around your plant’s stem. The top should crest the surface by a half inch at least. Cutworms can only travel on the surface of the dirt, so they can’t get near the plant’s stem with this barrier. (see photo above)

In case I’ve done such a good job of talking up my brown thumb that you might not want tomato tips from me, they are the one thing I was absolutely successful with. Three years ago, my five plants grew nearly as big as me and twice as wide, and I had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with (having only learned to can last summer)!

Are you planting tomatoes this year, either in a traditional garden, among your flowers, or in pots on your porch? What is your best tomato tip?

1. Kristin says

My father in law (who has owned his own landscaping business for over 20 years) told me once that tomatoes (as well as roses) love human hair. Fortunately, my mother in law cuts hair for a living so I can go raid her trash can at work any time I am planting tomatoes or roses. Just one more thing to put down in the hole if you want to. Although, Im not sure why they like hair? Anyone know?

Kristin,
      I know that human hair keeps moles out of the garden when it’s buried around the edge, but I didn’t know that about tomatoes! :) Katie

• Stephanie says

When I plant I add torn seaweed sheets (the kind used to make sushi) and water with a diluted solution of water and apple cider vinegar.

I’m growing around 30 heirloom tomato plants in the garden that I started from seed (I can quite a bit, mostly salsa and sauce). I like to trellis my tomatoes (http://commonsensehomesteading.blogspot.com/2009/06/up-gardening-up-that-is.html) and sometimes I use old vinegar containers filled with water as a wind block (we get a lot of wind) and to help create a micro-climate near the tomatoes (because they store the heat of the sun). I generally water with soaker hoses run under mulch along the row of tomatoes.
    .-= Laurie N´s last blog ..Why Use Worm Castings? =-.

I have been growing tomatoes in Las Vegas for 3 years now, and we need to do things a little different here in the desert as temperatures are already approaching the 100 degree mark. The main thing is I’ve learned not to stake my tomato plants. If I let them grow in a heaping mess, they look horrible, but they create their own cooling system. The air under the plant stays nice and cool and moist. I’ve been harveting tomatoes already for about 2 weeks here, and the vines are FULL… here’s to hoping for a bumper crop! Best of luck with your garden this year!

Eggshells! My grandmother (who spends ALL her time gardening now) told me that tomatoes love eggshells. I keep all mine and mash them up and put them around the tomato plants. I don’t know how well it works because I’ve always gotten a TON of tomatoes. I have a mostly green thumb. :)
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Fried Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheese =-.

5. Tammy says

Great growing tips! But I am most interested in your last comment about dehydrating tomatoes for powder to make sauce… please do share the details.

We do tomatoes in pots up on our balcony to keep them away from the deer. Sometimes enterprising squirrels do find them though. Even watering is really important with potted tomatoes; they dry out really fast. When we are overwhelmed with tomatoes we wash them and pop them into the freezer whole. During the winter pull them out and as they thaw the skins will slip right off. Add them to soups, stews or pasta sauce for a really fresh grown tomato taste.
    .-= marcella´s last blog ..Baby Quilt =-.

This year we did some fishing so I planted mine with fish. We’ll see how they do. I had one plant mysteriously disappear ~ I’m wondering if something dug it up for the fish… but all the others were fine so I don’t know. I also use gallon jugs or 2 liter bottles depending what I have on hand.
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..The Sales Funnel Simplified =-.

8. Katie says

I agree with Tammy. I hope you do a post on your dehydrated sauce soon. I live in Florida and I am up to my eyeballs in tomatoes and could use some creative way to preserve them since I am lacking canning equipment. Please share soon! :)

Katie,
      If you have a dehydrator, just slice and dry until crisp. Blend to a powder, and that can be reconstituted to make any tomato sauce/paste/juice product. You might be able to dehyd in a low-temp oven, too.
      Hope you can use up all those ‘maters! :) Katei

9. Lisa Imerman says

Sounds like a neat way to plant tomatoes, I am going to use the jug trick!!

However, I don’t have or use powdered milk as it isn’t particularly healthy, so I am not sure I want to put it in my soil either. Wonder what it does, would it be for the calcium cause the eggshells sound better to me for that???

Lisa,
      I don’t use it in cooking either, but I really don’t think it could hurt the plants. It’s a disease fighter anyway, not a fertilizer, although I’m not exactly sure what in the powdered milk fights the disease. Maybe it was in the book I started with by Jerry Baker?
      Katid

10. Julie says

A PLASTIC milk jug?!?!

Really?!?!

Who are you and what did you do with our beloved Katie?!

(If you write a post about how much you LOVE to do dishes I’ll KNOW that you are an imposter!)

Teasing aside, I suggest checking out ollas as a future garden purchase. Ollas will do the same thing as the milk jug but will look prettier (and your loyal readings won’t wonder if you’ve been abducted by plastic-loving-commercial aliens!)

Link to more on ollas

Oh, my goodness, Julie, you’re cracking me up! I have to buy milk for yogurt beyond what we can afford in raw, you know…plus, these jugs are from three years ago when I wasn’t quite so crunchy. LOL Katie

11. Maria says

Oh, can you please be more specific about banana peel … do you put the whole thing in or cut it up? how many per plant? It’s our first year having a community garden.
    It’s funny, because we have planted our tomatoes the day before your post and we were eating bananas right before planting… we put the banana peels in our neighbors compost bin:) Wish your post was 1 day earlier:))

I think my parents have this book – but I just requested two or three of his from the library while reading your post!

I’m having to re-plant my tomatoes and peppers this weekend, so this is a very timely post! Thank you!

And fantastic comments too, by the way . . .

Best,
    Sarah
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Happy Weekending! =-.

I save my banana peels all winter and put them in the holes with the powdered milk i also save my eggshells for my tomatoes it has something to do with the calcium I believe. We have severe blight in our area so I hope the milk helps. Good luck everyone lou

14. ED says

Just curious about the powdered milk… How do you know if it has been GMO or not? Milk is fairly easy to tell but not the powder. Plus if it is the calcium in it that does the trick, or potassium from the banana peel, then egg shells may be the way to go if they are organic.

Also, wondering about the Rhubarb comment… one has to be careful as there is wild rhubarb which is poisonous and if I am not mistaken there is some of that poison in the leaves (just like you can’t eat potato plants or eat green potatoes – deadly nightshade poison).

As to the plastic from the milk jugs – make sure that it is BPA free.

I guess what I am saying is although there are natural ways to help your plants along and make sure they are growing well – we need to make sure the items we use to do that are also good for us.

• talleyrand says

re rhubarb
      yes are toxic to eat ,they contain oxalic acid BUT boil them with a few Garlic segments cool and strain makes a great spray for bugs and especialy cabbage moth,those pesky white butter fly type .
      I use coke bottles 1.5 litre type {no never drink the stuff} drill 3 to 4 1/8 inch holes in the lid, cut off the base and bury beside the tomatoe plant and water via this means ,no need to hose and keeps the chance of fungus away
      Water via this with a watering can ,can add tomato booster or liquid fertilizer , sea weed washed and put in a drum makes a great feed for them,also can be spread around the garden , worms love it ,,IF you live near the sea.
      found that these work for me here in Australia

I don’t see how using powdered milk in the soil would be bad for US. It’s likely there to 1) supply calcium (so yes, eggshells would work), and 2) feed soild microbes, which eggshells won’t do. Plants and soil microbes have very different needs than we do, so automatically assuming because something is bad for us it is bad for them is oversimplifying. Take the phosphates in graywater, for example. Phosphates are poison to animals, but plants need them.

I know I’ll be trying these tips- I fight with blight every year!

My amendment of choice for the bottom of my tomato holes is organic kelp powder. When I use kelp, I never have problems with insects or diseases on my tomatoes. (If I don’t, blossom end rot is common to my area.)

GREAT information in this blog post. I cam across while trying to figure out why Pinterest has recommended I put baking soda on my tomato plats. Anyways, doesn’t sound like a good idea now that I’ve done some research…