There are a couple reasons I realized I wasn’t called to homeschool, although I gave it a go for 3-year-old preschool and failed miserably once I started blogging and Paul was four.
As a former teacher with a mean streak of perfectionism, I was never satisfied with the curriculum. I knew I would forever be supplementing, looking for “the best” activities and probably making up my own worksheets for any given topic, spending hours on the computer wandering through the endless resources out there.
If I did homeschool, and if we made it all the way to high school, however, it would have been such a relief when this course came out.
Teaching Real Food Nutrition & Health
Kristen Michaelis of Food Renegade is offering a “Real Food Nutrition & Health” Curriculum for kids ages 12 and up (and non-kids ages 18 and up who are lifelong learners, too!). It’s based on Weston A. Price principles of nutrition that you’ll never bump into in a traditional curriculum:
- Saturated fats are good for you
- Traditional cultures knew how to eat
- God designed food and us, and He knew what He was doing – we don’t need chemists to tell us how to eat
- Americans eat too much corn and vegetable oils
- Vitamin D, a necessary nutrient, can’t be properly obtained by fortified milk and cereal
- Whole foods, not “vitamins and minerals,” are what people need to eat for good health
- Nutrient density, enzymes, and Real Farming
- And so, SO much more!
Kristen employs “living book” style texts – she knows how to speak to her chosen audience, and she’s so very passionate about her topic that one can’t help but be drawn in, suggested discussion questions and hands-on/minds-on projects.
I can tell from reading Kristen’s work at Food Renegade over the years that she is one of those gals who is academically brilliant, and definitely someone I’d trust to teach my kids. Here’s a little from the good teacher herself:
When you enroll, you and your kids will read first-hand accounts from inside the Real Food Revolution, and engage in the course materials in a critical, thoughtful way.
You’ll get to do experiments at the grocery store, in your kitchen, and (if possible) local farms.
It’ll be fun. Scouts honor.
The Curriculum Details
Although I would encourage you to visit the Real Food Nutrition & Health textbook information page, here are a few of the background facts you should know:
- Written at Highschool Level – It’s perfect for your teenagers, or even yourself!
- Based on “Living Book” Model – This is no stale read full of boring facts, but an intensely readable collection of essays blending my zeal for Real Food with my passion for Nutrition.
- The textbook is available in an ebook format, or as a paperback bound book.
In case you’re not convinced yet, here’s a sneak peek video.
My Kids Cook Real Food eCourse, an online video-based curriculum, is also a great resource for teaching kids kitchen skills and equips them to eat healthfully for the rest of their lives. Here’s more info…
Looking for a Gift?
We’ll help you wrap a box with ease when you order before December 15th! Just select the free flash drive offer and we’ll send you:
- a free flash drive with the whole course pre-loaded
- a gift certificate you can fill out and sign
- a little something that describes the course
- plus recommendations for kid-friendly kitchen tools if you want to add to your box
All that AND we’ll also give you $10 off the regular price for VIP access!
I’m well known for honest, thorough product reviews…
…and you can always tell a real family has run these products through the gauntlet.
When I review a type of item, I try to review a LOT of different brands! From over a dozen reusable sandwich bags to over 120 natural mineral sunscreens, I’m your girl for straight-up info about natural, real foodie items you’re considering buying.
Click here to see more product reviews and you’ll also love my resources page, with REAL products that have passed my rigorous testing enough to be “regulars” in the Kimball household, plus some other comprehensive reviews. Updated at least once a year to boot the losers and add new gems!