- Mix Ingredients
- Stir until just smooth.
- Pour into greased 9×9 pan and bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Serve hot.
- Store in fridge if you want leftovers to last more than a day or two.
Healthy upgrade: Soaked
Mix together cornmeal and flour (the one cup each from the original recipe) with a total of one cup buttermilk and/or yogurt (this is in place of the milk, and you can use whatever you have on hand, one or both options). Soak at room temperature overnight, then add baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, honey and coconut oil or butter at baking time.
Change: Reduce baking powder to 2 tsp. and add 1 tsp. baking soda. Be careful to stir the baking powder, soda and salt in evenly.
Dishes saver: You can melt the coconut oil or butter in the 8×8 pan in the oven as it preheats. Cook as directed above.
Click here for a list of all the Monday Missions, Kitchen Stewardship’s baby steps to balancing the care of God’s gifts of time, health, earth and money.
Other from-scratch recipes:
- Homemade Whole Grain Biscuits
- Homemade Granola and Granola bars
- Tuscan Bean Soup
- California Chicken Wraps
- Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas