Easy to make and cheap because you can use what’s left in your fridge! These California chicken wraps will become a family favorite. Homemade hamburger helper is another great option for a frugal family dinner. That’s two easy dinners for your menu this week.
Here’s the promised recipe for the second way my family uses avocados (after guac). I learned this wrap at a Pampered Chef party, and we looooove it around here. I always feel like I’m at a good restaurant when I serve them. So easy, so yummy.
Let the Kids Help Make Dinner
California chicken wraps are both a family favorite to eat…and make! Yes, kids can make them. After using the Kids Cook Real Food eCourse your kids will be masters at making homemade tortillas and ranch dressing and at chopping veggies. All the skills you need for this delicious dinner.
I’ll Teach Your Kids to Cook So You Get the Time Back You Need
The Kids Cook Real Food eCourse Independent Training Program will build confident young cooks ages 8+ in just a few lessons.
- Chop some cucumbers and cover with ranch dressing;
- Stir and let sit while you cut everything else.
- Cook chicken if necessary and slice vegetables.
- chicken and add a little Italian seasoning if you have it.
- Assemble wraps in order given.
- Roll tightly and grill on a George Foreman or in a very hot pan (dry, no Teflon), seam side down first.
- Turn once if in pan.
- Remove when tortillas are lightly browned.
Cost: less than $1 per wrap; varies depending on what kind of chicken and tortillas you buy. Can be made as a grilled sandwich on whole wheat bread, too. Super foods: 1, plus 3 honorable mentions (use herbed plain yogurt instead of ranch and add some spinach leaves to make 3 super foods!)
Where to Find Grassfed, Pastured, Organic Meat:
Do you have trouble finding high quality meat locally? Me too.
I’m grateful that there’s an online source of incredibly high quality meat that I can always count on. A subscription from Butcher Box is guaranteed to be grassfed/organic/pastured/free range = all the labels important to your family’s health!
If you live in an area (like my mom) where organic local farms are nowhere to be found or have trouble sourcing certain meats or cuts, Butcher Box has you covered.
Butcher Box is having a special deal in which new members get a free pack of ground beef with every order for life. But it won’t last forever!
(free shipping too!)
Pile onto a homemade tortilla. I like them with mustard!
Or…happily toasting on the George.
Tips and Transformations:
- We like it with plain ranch and mustard, because hubby doesn’t like cucumbers.
- I almost always serve it with a side of Chicken Rice-a-Roni, homemade version.
- Add bacon or pepperoni and hot pepper for an Italian twist.
- Use Caesar dressing for something different
- Chicken is best stir fried or leftover roasted chicken, BUT if you want to use your chicken from making stock, I would recommend sautéing it in olive oil first for flavor.
Other Recipe Connections:
- Potato Salad with the Kids
- Homemade Refried Beans
- The Best Scrambled Eggs Ever
- Crockpot Tuscan Beef Stew
- Turkey Pot Pie (or How to Use up Leftovers)
- Frugal Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Green Smoothies with Kale
- Meatless Meals Carnival
- Tuscan Bean Soup
- Garlic Soup
- Summer Fruit Dips