One of the easiest real food swaps to make is homemade salad dressing. It’s so easy you can even delegate it to your kids! This homemade Caesar dressing is ready in less than five minutes and is sure to be a family favorite. Pair your simple Caesar salad with my homemade hamburger helper for a nutritious weeknight dinner.
This is my all-time favorite homemade Caesar dressing, and I often make a double or triple batch in a full-sized food processor. A single batch can be made with a stick blender or in a mini-food processor. There aren’t any anchovies in this recipe, so it’s perfect for those who don’t have them on hand or just don’t want to use them.
Why Make Homemade Salad Dressing?
If you’ve never made homemade salad dressing, you’re missing out. The taste is better than anything you’ll find in a bottle. This is a great baby step towards eating more real food. And it’s so simple! If your kids are learning to cook with the Kids Cook Real Food eCourse, they can prepare both the salad and this delicious dressing.
Store-bought salad dressing is filled with flavorings, gums, food coloring, MSG and rancid vegetable oils. Do yourself a favor and take five minutes to make your own Caesar dressing. You just might want a salad every day when it’s topped with something this good!
Watch me make this dressing with my daughter!
- 1 egg yolk, from pastured chickens, room temperature
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (raw is best)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbs (or a little less) fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1–2 tsp Worstershire sauce (optional)
- 2 Tbs (or more) Parmesan cheese (optional if needed for dairy-free)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Blend up everything but the parmesan and the olive oil with the stick blender or food processor.
- Stream in the olive oil. It should thicken up into a creamy consistency, which is SO FUN to watch!
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese at the end. I’ve failed at this twice; the dressing was still tasty, just more like an Italian consistency. The trick is to have room temperature ingredients.
- Note: With a food processor, I use that to mince the garlic first, then make a chunk of Parmesan cheese into shreds. I remove those items and continue with the rest of the ingredients, adding the garlic and Parm back in at the end.
UPDATE: If you have a failed batch, whisk up a new egg yolk and pour in the entire failed batch slowly as if it was the oil. That should thicken it up nicely! (Room temperature helps too.)
Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likes…Check out how powerful it is here!
Love baking with your kids?
Empower them and build their confidence with the Holiday Baking Challenge from Kids Cook Real Food!
Get more dressings with:
- Simple & Festive Greek Salad Dressing
- Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Ranch Dressing or Dip