Just because it comes in a bottle doesn’t mean it’s better. Homemade salad dressing always tops store-bought! This Asian toasted sesame dressing is bright and refreshing. Pair your salad with a warm bowl of cream of potato soup for an easy weeknight dinner or another entree for a keto approach.
My husband is a great meter for new, homemade recipes. He’s very skeptical of things that I make myself that he already (really) enjoys from the store. When he says something like, “That looks just like a *real* English muffin!” it’s music to my poor, kitchen-weary ears.
If husband says, “This might be better than the real thing,” I’m jumping for joy knowing I have a winner.
He said that about this recipe.
I first tried making my own homemade dressings this spring when I gave up white sugar for Lent. (You can see four homemade salad dressings with extra virgin olive oil here and a whole bunch of dressings here..) I’ve fiddled with those recipes and tried to mimic other favorite bottled versions, but this is the first I made totally on my own. It’s a reverse engineered Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing, souped up to be so much more healthy because it uses healthy oil, real seeds and real garlic.
- Whisk apple cider vinegar, olive oil, optional sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Whiz the garlic and toasted sesame seeds in a mini-food processor until garlic is in small pieces.
- Combine and enjoy!
- *To toast sesame seeds, put them on a dry cookie sheet in the toaster oven and toast on light once or twice until lightly browned and aromatic. No toaster oven? You could certainly use a regular oven on low heat – just watch the closely every few minutes to make sure they don’t burn. I’m thinking you could also put them in a hot, dry pan and stir constantly until browned, but I haven’t tried that myself.
Store in the fridge (I think?) and try to remember to take it out a half hour before dinner, because the olive oil will solidify when cold.
Need a little help getting healthy food on the table every day? Real Plans takes the stress out of meal planning and puts the nourishing food BACK on your table. There’s a plan for every diet type, including GAPS, Paleo, AIP, Whole30, vegetarian and more! You remain totally in control: use your own recipes, accept theirs, and teach the system what your family likes…Check out how powerful it is here!
Don’t you think this would be marvelous for a main dish salad with a marinated chicken breast and those crunchy Asian chow mein noodles? You could add lots of vegetables to really make your salad count!
Get more salad dressing recipes:
- Simple & Festive Greek Salad Dressing
- Creamy Garlic Dressing
- Homemade Caesar Dressing
- Homemade Italian Dressing
- Ranch Dressing or Dip
Don’t forget to include the kids! Salad dressing is an easy task for kids to tackle, especially when they learn how to cook with the Kids Cook Real Food eCourse. We delegate dressings to the little ones. It is very forgiving. And they are much more likely to try the salad if they help prepare it!
Love baking with your kids?
Empower them and build their confidence with the Holiday Baking Challenge from Kids Cook Real Food!