Does it ever drive you nuts that candy companies will slap a “Fat Free!” label on their packages, tempting sorry dieters to indulge in a snack that is anything but “guilt free?” I can’t help the sarcastic smirk on my face when I see the words “Fat Free!” emblazoned across sugar-filled indulgences.
What’s the deal with fats? People are so afraid of consuming fat, likely because they assume they will then become fat. You are what you eat, right?
Not necessarily, my friends.
The Fat Full Fall series at Kitchen Stewardship is PACKED with research and information and has remained one of the most widely referenced for years.
Here are the topics covered in the “Fat Full Fall” series:
- Does fat make you fat? Learn how fat is metabolized by the body and the role it plays in our bodies.
- Are Saturated Fats Healthy or Evil?
- My Family’s Transition to Full Fat Dairy, plus info about powdered milk and oxidized cholesterol
- Polyunsaturated Fats – Are they Healthy? Explore the evils of industrial fats (soybean and corn oil), and learn 6 Ways to reduce your consumption of omega-6 fats
- Canola Oil: Friend or Foe?
- Fats you Don’t Always Hear About: Coconut Oil & Ghee
- Animal Fats: Tallow, Lard
- Learn what the labels on oil bottles mean (cold-pressed vs. expeller-pressed), and How to Buy, Use and Store EVOO (be careful!)
- Baseline Fats: What Fat do you Use for What Purpose?
Previous to this series, a few of my other posts touched on healthy fats:
Omega 3s: Americans need more of them, plain and simple. Read up on health benefits plus the scoop on salmon and flax, two big ways to increase your omega 3s.
- How to Buy Safe Salmon: Give it a skim if you’re going to increase your omega-3s with salmon.
- How to Use and Store Flax Safely: Again, skim it if you use it (or want to learn how).
Monounsaturated Fats (healthy fats): Review the health benefits of monounsaturated fats and some fav foods in this category.